Last month, I was asked by the Associated Press to be a voter in the AP Top 25 this season. I gladly accepted and look forward to voting every week.
Today was the deadline for the preseason ballot, and I submitted it last night.
The preseason poll has to be the most difficult of all of them. I did my preseason poll based on my projections for the upcoming season. So my top four are the teams I believe will be in the College Football Playoff.
I'm always up for discussion. This poll will likely generate the most disagreements because no one has a body of work yet.
Here we go (with comments on some teams):
1. Florida State: I think the Seminoles win back-to-back titles as long as Jameis Winston stays healthy. It also helps that FSU gets Clemson and Florida at home.
2. Oklahoma: This will seem a little high, but have you seen OU's schedule? The Sooners have a very real chance at running the table, and have lots back on defense.
3. Oregon: There's a lot to love with the Ducks this year. I think they will win the Pac-12 and be in the playoff. The schedule is a challenging one though.
4. Alabama: Hard to question a Nick Saban team, but the quarterback situation worries me.
5. Ohio State
6. UCLA: The Bruins schedule is crazy difficult, but I think they have the horses to get through it.
7. Michigan State: The Spartans will benefit from their September trip to Oregon, and be a top-ten team this season.
9. Baylor: Baylor has Bryce Petty back and, like Oklahoma, has the benefit of playing in the down Big 12.
10. Southern Cal: I'm higher on the Trojans than most. Cody Kessler should have a big year, and there's still so much athleticism and talent on that defense.
11. South Carolina
12. Auburn: Can Nick Marshall really lead this team to another great season? I don't think great, but the Tigers should have a pretty good season.
13. Wisconsin: Running back Melvin Gordon is a stud and the Badgers miss Michigan State and Ohio State during the regular season.
16. Mississippi: It's never easy in the SEC, but quarterback Bo Wallace should have this team in fine shape.
18. Notre Dame
19. Duke: Another team I'm higher on than most. David Cutcliffe is a heck of a coach and quarterback Anthony Boone should be improved in his final season.
20. Kansas State
21. Iowa: Could the Hawkeyes start 10-0? Look at that schedule and tell me they couldn't.
22. Arizona State: Lots of questions on defense, sure, but the Sun Devils might not need it with the firepower they have on offense.
23. Texas A&M
25. Marshall: Big-time quarterback back, plus an easy schedule.