The preseason high school football All-Southern Arizona team continues today with No. 16 on our list of 22 players.
Check out a video clip on KVOA (Channel 4) tonight at 5:30 and 10.
The team was chosen by the Arizona Daily Star and the staff at KVOA and will be revealed daily through Aug. 22.
Brandon Perkins • WR/FS • 5-9, 175 • Desert View, Sr.
• Who he is: The athletic Perkins enters this season with one place on his mind: Berkeley, Calif. Perkins has dreamed of attending and playing football for the California Golden Bears, and now comes his big chance to prove he's worthy. Perkins says he has been in contact with Cal coach Jeff Tedford, and that the Golden Bears are potentially interested in him at defensive back. Perkins sent his grade transcript, and says he was told the team would like to have him. Of course, Cal's decision would likely be based largely on Perkins' performance in his upcoming senior year. Perkins' father, Roy, who is Desert View's defensive backs coach, spent the off-season working with Brandon on his technique from a defensive standpoint, and his hands on offense. Look for Perkins to be equally as dominant this year on both sides of the ball, but potentially sharper and more fundamentally sound.
• Proof he's good: A first-team All-Southern Arizona defensive back last season, Perkins doesn't get beaten down the field. He'll outrun receivers to incoming passes and jump higher once he gets there. As good as he was last year, Perkins says that lots of studying and drills over the summer have made him even better at reading quarterbacks. Perkins' main concern is defense, but he holds down the slot receiver position nicely on offense, too. He caught 30 passes from quarterback Jesse Santana last year for 471 yards and five touchdowns. He eclipsed 100 yards receiving on two occasions: 140 yards on four catches against Pueblo in Week 2 and 128 yards on five catches against Douglas in Week 7. Santana, a top-10 passer in Southern Arizona last season, is back for his senior year and should make Perkins a favorite target once again.
• He said it: "The weight room has helped us; everybody has been in there getting bigger. At our skill positions, we're probably one of the best teams in the city. We're pushing ourselves and we're pushing each other."
Michael J. Craven
• What: Day 16 - Brandon Perkins
• TV: 5:30 and 10 p.m., Ch 4