The U.S. national team has canceled a trip to Senegal due to the Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
The Americans were scheduled to interrupt their World Cup of Basketball preparations to travel to the African continent for the first time, conducting a joint clinic on Aug. 27 with the Senegal national team. They planned to tour Senegal’s Goree Island and attend a reception hosted by the Senegalese government.
But USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo said Friday the Americans had no choice but to call off the trip because of the risk involved with Senegal’s location near countries where the outbreak has been deadly.
UA’s McMahon in Arizona Amateur title match
UA senior Alex McMahon will play for the championship of the 90th Arizona Amateur today after winning quarterfinal and semifinal match play events Friday at Scottsdale’s Desert Highlands Golf Course. The Ironwood Ridge High School grad is attempting to become the eighth Tucsonan to win an Arizona Amateur; the last was CDO grad David McDaniel in 2009.
• Brittany Lincicome opened a three-stroke lead Friday in the wind-swept LPGA Championship in Pittsford, New York. The long-hitting Lincicome followed her opening 67 with a 68 to reach 9 under at Monroe Golf Club. Lexi Thompson, tied for the first-round lead, dropped into a tie for second with Inbee Park.
• Heath Slocum and Scott Langley each shot 5-under 65 for the second straight day Friday to share the lead in the Wyndham Championship in Greensboro, North Carolina. Brian Stuard, Nick Watney, Martin Laird and Andrew Svoboda were a stroke back.
• John Cook birdied the final two holes for a 7-under 65 and a share of the first-round lead with Olin Browne on Friday in the Champions Tour’s Dick’s Sporting Goods Open in Endicott, New York.
4 Irish players held out due to academic probe
SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Notre Dame football players KeiVarae Russell, DaVaris Daniels, Ishaq Williams and Kendall Moore are being held out of practice while the school investigates what it calls “suspected academic dishonesty.” The school announced Friday it has notified the NCAA about the inquiry.
• Sahuarita senior Sati Santa Cruz will play in today’s Under Armour All-America Game in Chicago at 6:05 p.m. The game will air delayed on the MLB Network on Sunday at 5 p.m.
• Past U.S. Open tennis champion Juan Martin del Potro pulled out of the year’s last Grand Slam tournament because he’s still recovering from wrist surgery.