HOUSTON - D.J. Johnson returned a late interception 39 yards and Ryan Bustin made a 28-yard field goal as time expired to give Texas Tech a 34-31 victory over Minnesota on Friday night in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.
Seth Doege found Eric Ward on a short pass, and he outran a defender for a 35-yard scoring play to tie it at 31 with just more than a minute remaining.
Michael Carter intercepted two of Doege's passes in the fourth quarter before the tying score, but Minnesota couldn't convert either of the turnovers into points.
The Red Raiders (8-5) got their third straight bowl win to wrap up a month that began with coach Tommy Tuberville's abrupt departure for the job at Cincinnati.
Texas Tech has hired Kliff Kingsbury to replace him, but interim coach Chris Thomsen led the team against Minnesota (6-7).
Russell Athletic Bowl
ORLANDO, Fla. - Cody Journell kicked a 22-yard field goal on the first possession of overtime to help Virginia Tech beat Rutgers 13-10 in the Russell Athletic Bowl on Friday night.
Virginia Tech (7-6) won its third straight game to avoid its first losing season since 1992.
Rutgers (9-4) had a chance to tie it in overtime, but Nick Borgese missed a 42-yard field-goal attempt to the right.
Virginia Tech trailed 10-0 at the half, then rallied in the final 30 minutes thanks to some timely turnovers and offense. Quarterback Logan Thomas struggled in the first and finished with a pair of interceptions, but also had 192 passing yards and the game's only passing touchdown.
SHREVEPORT, La. - Tyler Tettleton threw for 331 yards and two touchdowns, Beau Blankenship scored four touchdowns, and Ohio cruised to a 45-14 victory over Louisiana-Monroe at the Independence Bowl on Friday.
Chase Cochran caught three passes for 162 yards and a touchdown as the Bobcats (9-4) won their second straight bowl game.
Thursday's Holiday Bowl
SAN DIEGO - Glasco Martin ran for three touchdowns, Nick Florence threw for two scores and ran for another, and Baylor overwhelmed UCLA 49-26 in the Holiday Bowl on Thursday night.
Lache Seastrunk rushed 16 times for 138 yards and one score for Baylor, which outgained UCLA 494-362. The Bears came in leading the nation in total offense with 578.8 yards per game.
Florence completed 10 of 13 passes for 188 yards, giving him 4,309 for the season to break Robert Griffin III's school season record of 4,293 set in 2011.
• Chris Ault announced Friday he was stepping down as coach of Nevada after 28 seasons, leaving as the winningest coach in school history.
The 66-year-old won 10 conference championships and took the Wolf Pack to the postseason 16 times, including 10 bowl games in 12 FBS seasons. He finished with a record of 233-109-1.
Nevada lost 49-48 to Arizona in the New Mexico Bowl on Dec. 15.
• No. 12 Oklahoma has suspended defensive tackle Stacy McGee after he was arrested on a charge of driving under the influence of alcohol on Christmas Eve. McGee won't travel with the Sooners (10-2) for the Cotton Bowl or play against No. 10 Texas A&M in the Jan. 4 game.
Armed Forces Bowl
• Who: Rice (6-6) vs. Air Force (6-6)
• When: 9:45 a.m. on ESPN
• Where: Fort Worth, Texas
• Key matchup: Rice defense against Air Force offense, which is second nationally with 329 yards rushing per game. So how much do the Falcons run the ball? They have only 17 pass attempts in their last three games, including none in one of those games.
• Who: West Virginia (7-5) vs. Syracuse (7-5)
• When: 1:15 p.m. on ESPN
• Where: Yankee Stadium, New York.
• Key matchup: QB Geno Smith and WRs Stedman Bailey and Tavon Austin and against Syracuse's pass defense and veteran secondary. The Orange rank 63rd in the nation in sacks and 65th in yards passing allowed.
Fight Hunger Bowl
• Who: Arizona State (7-5) vs. Navy (8-4)
• When: 2 p.m. on ESPN2
• Where: AT&T Park, San Francisco
• Key matchup: Arizona State run defense vs. Navy triple option. The unorthodox offensive attack for the Midshipmen should test the Sun Devils' defense which ranked 75th against the run this season.
• Who: Texas (8-4) vs. No. 15 Oregon State (9-3)
• Who: 4:45 p.m. on ESPN
• Where: San Antonio, Texas
• Key matchup: Texas WR Mike Davis vs. Oregon State CB Jordan Poyer. Davis has 909 yards and could become just the sixth Texas player to have a 1,000-yard receiving season. Poyer, an All-American, is tied for second nationally with seven interceptions.
Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl
• Who: TCU (7-5) vs. Michigan State (6-6)
• When: 8:15 p.m. on ESPN
• Where: Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe
• Key matchup: TCU's defense against Michigan State RB Le'Veon Bell. The Horned Frogs had the nation's 10th-best rushing defense during the regular season, allowing 103.92 yards per game, but haven't seen many backs like Bell, who has 1,648 rushing yards, second-most in Michigan State history.