Delashaun Dean, left, caught 132 passes for 1,407 yards and seven touchdowns in three seasons at the UA. KELLY PRESNELL

Wide receiver Delashaun Dean will transfer from the Arizona Wildcats football program, a week after being arrested and charged with misdemeanor possession of a concealed weapon.

Dean told the Star on Saturday that he will choose a Division II school, likely either Central Washington or Texas A&M-Kingsville.

Dean, 21, was suspended by coach Mike Stoops shortly after details of his arrest became public. The two talked last week, Dean said, and agreed he should transfer.

Stoops did not immediately return messages left for him.

Dean said both Central Washington and Texas A&M-Kingsville know about his pending case. Dean is scheduled to appear in Tucson City Court on Tuesday.

"The people that I talked to, they all believe in second chances," he said. "Things happen that you don't really intend on happening. I didn't plan on getting in trouble, if you can call it that."

Tucson Police Department officers were called to an IHOP Restaurant on North Oracle Road at about 2:40 a.m. on June 19 after a patron reported seeing Dean flash a gun in his waistband, according to police reports obtained by the Star on Friday.

Dean was frisked for weapons, according to reports, but officers found nothing. Shortly thereafter, officers found two semiautomatic handguns underneath Dean's car, a late-model Chrysler 300, according to reports.

Dean was charged with one count of carrying a concealed weapon.

Saturday, Dean called the arrest a misunderstanding.

The Wildcats wide receiver said he never "flashed" the gun to anybody. Dean arrived at the restaurant in a friend's car, he said, while another buddy drove his Chrysler. Upon arriving at the restaurant, Dean said, he went to put the gun in his car only to find it locked. Rather than enter IHOP with his gun to ask a friend for his keys, Dean said, he stashed it underneath his car.

"It was registered in my name," he said. "I didn't have an altercation with anybody. It was my gun. That was my legal right. That was my constitutional right."

Dean said he carries the gun for protection - "not to get cool points, or anything like that." Dean said he was unaware of Stoops' no-firearms policy until he broke the rule.

"Athletes are put on this high pedestal, and some people in the community don't like that," he said. "I wasn't intending to harm anybody. I was just protecting myself and my family."

Dean's arrest comes just as the state of Arizona is revising its laws about concealed weapons. Starting July 29, people 21 and over - and not prohibited from possessing a weapon - will be allowed to carry a concealed gun without a permit.

Gov. Jan Brewer signed SB 1108 into law in May.

Dean was expected to be one of the Wildcats' top returners this fall. In three seasons at the UA, Dean caught 132 passes for 1,407 yards and seven touchdowns.

His next game, however, will come at another school.

"I definitely didn't see my career at Arizona ending like this. I definitely didn't want it to end like this," Dean said. "But you move on, and you learn. It's just, things happen."