Four months ago, when the Tucson temperatures were still enjoyable, Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez sat outside his office and offered his thoughts on his 2013 team.
Among the topics he covered were the position groups he felt best about.
"We probably have more experience at wide receiver than other positions," Rodriguez said then, "so that's probably the position we're most comfortable at now as far as having guys we know can play and having a pretty good rotation there.
"Receiver is our deepest group right now."
The UA's top receiver from a year ago, Austin Hill, is recovering from a torn ACL he suffered during spring practice. Tyler Slavin, who caught the winning touchdown in the New Mexico Bowl, left the program last week. And two others, Jarrell Bennett and Sean Willet, departed earlier in June.
Suddenly, there is more uncertainty than depth at the wide receiver spot.
Here's our reset of the receivers:
- What the group looked like before spring practice: Ademola Adeniran, Jr.; R.J. Aguero, So.; Jarrell Bennett, Fr.; Trevor Ermisch, Jr.; Clive Georges, Fr.; Trey Griffey, Fr.; Austin Hill, Jr.; Johnny Jackson, So.; Terrence Miller, Sr.; David Richards, So.; Tyler Slavin, Jr.; Garic Wharton, Jr.; Sean Willet, Sr.
- What it looks like now: Ermisch, Georges, Griffey, Hill (injured), Jackson, Miller, Richards, Wharton.
- Help on the way: Paul Elvira, Fr., Tempe; Samajie Grant, Fr., Ontario, Calif.; T.J. Johnson, Fr., Cape Coral, Fla.; Mauriece Lee, Fr., Tempe; Nate Phillips, Fr., Chandler.
- By the numbers: 1,588: Number of yards Hill and Slavin combined for last season.
- The lowdown: Adeniran and Aguero were both walk-ons who didn't see playing time last season. Willet also wasn't on scholarship, but had two catches for 48 yards last season. Bennett was on scholarship and redshirted last year. Griffey and Georges will likely be pressed into duty sooner because of Hill's injury and the other departures.
Twice a week the Star will preview a position group over the next five weeks. First up are the wide receivers.
Coming Sunday: Tight ends
Contact reporter Daniel Berk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-4330. On Twitter @DSBerk.