The preseason high school football All-Southern Arizona team continues today with No. 20 on our list of 22 players.
Check out a video clip on KVOA (Channel 4) tonight at 6 and 10.
The team was chosen by the Arizona Daily Star and the staff at KVOA and will be revealed daily through Sunday.
Mitch Fischer • FS/RB • 5-11, 185 • Ironwood Ridge, Jr.
• Who he is: Fischer is a different type of player than his older brother, Jake, though he says he has no problem with the comparison. Jake Fischer is entering his second year on a football scholarship at the UA, and Mitch would love nothing more than to join him there in a couple of years. But for now, as a junior, Mitch said he is concentrating on his duties at Ironwood Ridge, and helping the Nighthawks try to rebound from a first-round exit in last year's 5A-II state playoffs. While Jake was a bruising power runner and a fierce linebacker, Mitch is a little lighter on his feet. He says his rushing style is a bit more elusive than it is bulldozing, and he utilizes his speed at safety, rather than his strength.
• Proof he's good: Fischer's field vision is excellent, making safety the perfect position for him. He's listed as a free safety, but really he's just as good at coming up to shut down the run as he is staying back and playing the pass. Fischer was used sparingly on offense last year, hauling in five catches for 27 yards, and running the ball seven times for 91 yards and two touchdowns. But with last year's running back, Adrian Brahler gone, look for Fischer to emerge as one of a handful of Nighthawks who should get more carries. Fischer also showcases his athleticism on the basketball court. Last season, he scored in double figures in 12 of 29 games.
• He said it: "I have a knack for the ball. My ability to read quarterbacks and read plays helps me. I look for wide receivers coming my way but I like to play the run, too. To help the defense, I just try to bring another force, another tackler. This year, I'm really trying to be a leader."
Michael J. Craven
• What: Day 20 - Mitch Fischer
• TV: 6 and 10 p.m., Channel 4