CINCINNATI - Bengals cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones was arrested Monday on a misdemeanor assault charge after police said he tried to hurt a woman, court documents show.
A police complaint says Jones is accused of striking the Cincinnati woman just before midnight June 5. He was released on his own recognizance with his arraignment on the charge today.
Jones also pleaded guilty in January 2012 to a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct.
Bills cut QB Jackson
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. - Rookie quarterback E.J. Manuel took a big step forward in the competition with Kevin Kolb to win the Buffalo Bills starting job after the team released veteran QB Tarvaris Jackson.
The move came a day before the Bills open a three-day minicamp.
• Former NFL star receiver Chad Johnson was sentenced Monday to 30 days in jail for a probation violation in a domestic violence case by Broward County Circuit Judge Kathleen McHugh, who angrily rejected a no-jail plea deal after Johnson playfully slapped his male attorney on the backside in court, causing laughter.
• Chicago waived fullback Evan Rodriguez after he was charged with driving under the influence.
Also, the Bears traded offensive tackle and former first-round draft pick Gabe Carimi to Tampa Bay.
• Two-time Pro Bowl fullback Vonta Leach says he and the Ravens could not work out an agreement on his salary, so Leach expects to be cut or traded soon.
• New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees sued a former teammate Monday for allegedly advising him to invest $160,000 in tax credits that turned out to be bogus. The suit filed on Brees' behalf in federal court claims former Saints long snapper Kevin Houser, a licensed securities broker, mishandled the star quarterback's money and failed to disclose his own financial interests in the investments he was promoting.
• Former NFL linebacker Shawne Merriman was taken by ambulance from a Los Angeles nightclub to a hospital Sunday night to be treated for dehydration, his publicist said.