Ironwood Ridge and Catalina Foothills will meet Friday for the third time this season. At stake: A berth in the Division II boys tennis state championship match.
The third-seeded and defending state champion Nighthawks beat No. 11 Scottsdale Saguaro 5-0 on Tuesday, and second-seeded Foothills topped No. 10 Yuma Gila Ridge 5-1 to set up their third meeting of the season.
Foothills has won both meetings against Ironwood Ridge, but Nighthawks coach Ryan Bais is hoping the third time will be the charm.
"It's one of those things in any sport when you play someone multiple times, each time it gets closer," Bais said. "Everyone all around is playing great, and I feel like we have a good chance to beat them."
Division II girls
• No. 5 Ironwood Ridge 5, No. 13 Sabino 0: At I-Ridge, seniors Sara Brown and Marissa Baca both won in singles in straight sets and then teamed up for a 10-1 win in doubles to lock up the match. The defending state champion Nighthawks have won 13 straight matches and face top-seeded Scottsdale Notre Dame in Friday's semifinals.
• No. 3 Catalina Foothills 5, No. 6 Phoenix Arcadia 0: At Foothills, the Falcons swept the Titans to advance to the state semifinals for the fourth straight year. Rachana Bhat, Katie Watson, Caroline Leidy and Angelica Anderson all won in straight sets, and Kirtana Bhat rallied to win after dropping her first set. Foothills will face No. 7 Prescott.
• No. 7 Prescott 5, No. 2 Nogales 3: At Nogales, sisters Cristina and Emma Oropeza won their singles matches and teamed up for a win in doubles, but that was all the Apaches got as they were eliminated from the state tournament.
Division I boys
• No. 3 Salpointe Catholic 5, No. 6 Scottsdale Chaparral 0: At Tucson Racquet Club, Yash Parikh, Andrew Dunn, Brandon Gerber, Jack Amos and Joe Rucker all won in straight sets to lead the Lancers to Friday's semifinals. The Lancers will face second-seeded Chandler Hamilton.
Division I girls
• No. 13 Salpointe Catholic 5, No. 5 Phoenix Pinnacle 4: At Pinnacle, the Lancers pulled off their second straight upset. They will take on top-seeded Phoenix Xavier with a championship berth on the line.
Division III boys
• No. 3 Pusch Ridge Christian 5, No. 6 St. Gregory 4: At El Conquistador, doubles teams of Evan Gazic and Brenden Bernal and Davis Towne and Camron Vick both won to secure the team win after Pusch Ridge and St. Gregory split the six singles matches.
Pusch Ridge will play No. 2 Goodyear Estrella Foothills in Friday's semifinals.
Division III girls
• No. 5 Desert Christian 5, No. 13 Pusch Ridge Christian 2: At La Mariposa, Joni Hazelman and Ashley Harper both lost their singles matches in two sets but rallied for a 10-4 win in doubles to clinch the match and send the Eagles to Friday's semifinals.
Desert Christian will face No. 1 Miami.
On StarNet: Keep up with all your favorite Southern Arizona high school sports teams through the season and offseason at azstarnet.com/sports/high-school