VANCOUVER, British Columbia - Kyle Chipchura scored twice and Mike Smith made 29 saves to lead the Phoenix Coyotes to a 4-2 victory over the Vancouver Canucks on Tuesday night.
Antoine Vermette and Mikkel Boedker each added a goal and an assist for Phoenix, which was coming off back-to-back losses to Edmonton and Calgary over the weekend. Jason Garrison and Henrik Sedin scored, and Cory Schneider made 18 saves for Vancouver.
Boedker scored in the second and then assisted on Vermette's third-period goal that proved the winner, helping the Coyotes win on the road in regulation for the first time this season.
Chipchura opened the scoring in the first and put the game away into an empty net with 0:23 left as Phoenix moved into a tie for seventh in the Western Conference.
• Panthers 6, Penguins 4: In Sunrise, Fla., Tomas Kopecky recorded his first career hat trick and Tomas Fleischmann had the go-ahead score for his 100th career goal, lifting Florida over Pittsburgh.
• Bruins 4, Islanders 1: In Uniondale, N.Y., Brad Marchand scored the go-ahead goal in the second period and Boston beat New York for the 16th time in the last 20 meetings. The Bruins (12-2-2) won their fourth straight to bolster their best start since the 1976-77 season.
• Sabres 2, Lightning 1: In Tampa, Fla., Tyler Myers scored a go-ahead goal early in third period, helping Ron Rolston win for the first time as Buffalo's interim coach with a victory over Tampa Bay.
• Capitals 3, Hurricanes 0: In Washington, Nicklas Backstrom scored in the first period and assisted on John Erskine's goal in the second, leading Washington over Carolina.Braden Holtby made 33 saves to earn his fifth career shutout for the Capitals.
• Stars 5, Blue Jackets 4, OT: In Columbus, Ohio, Loui Eriksson fought off two defenders to get his stick on a rebound and jammed it in 3:03 into overtime to give Dallas a victory over Columbus. Cody Eakin had given the Stars a 4-3 lead with 6:24 left in regulation, but R.J. Umberger scored with just 1:34 remaining to force overtime.
• Jets 4, Rangers 3: In New York, Olli Jokinen scored twice and Evander Kane had a goal and assist in the second period for Winnipeg, which closed a 4-1 road trip.
• Wild 2, Flames 1, OT: In St. Paul, Minn., Zach Parise scored 27 seconds into OT to lift Minnesota over Calgary.
• Sharks 3, Avalanche 2 SO: In San Jose, the Sharks' Patrick Marleau scored the decisive shootout goal on Colorado's Semyon Varlamov to give San Jose the victory.
• The Los Angeles Kings traded Simon Gagne back to the Philadelphia Flyers on Tuesday for a conditional draft pick, sending the struggling left wing back to the city where he had his greatest NHL success.
• The New Jersey Devils placed goaltender Martin Brodeur on injured reserve with a sore back. He will be eligible to play again on Monday at Toronto.
• Montreal Canadiens forward Rene Bourque will be out indefinitely with a concussion.