RALEIGH, N.C. - New Jersey goalie Martin Brodeur scored his third career goal Thursday night and made 17 saves in his first game in a month, a 4-1 victory over Carolina.
Brodeur, who had been out with a pinched nerve in his upper back and neck, received credit for the game's first goal when Carolina's Jordan Staal passed the puck back to the point from behind the net with a delayed penalty call pending.
The pass missed intended target Tim Gleason and bounced off the boards near center ice. Carolina goalie Dan Ellis had already skated toward the bench because of the delayed penalty.
• Canucks 2, Coyotes 1: In Glendale, Jordan Schroeder scored midway through the third period, and Cory Schneider stopped 33 shots.
Schneider allowed a tying goal to Antoine Vermette in the third period, but Schroeder put the Canucks back up by punching in a rebound after a redirect by Jannik Hansen trickled past Coyotes goalie Jason LaBarbera.
Christopher Tanev also scored, and Schneider made some big saves down the stretch, including a semi breakaway by Martin Hanzal.
LaBarbera stopped 14 shots in the third period after replacing injured starter Mike Smith for the Coyotes, who have lost five straight.
• Stars 2, Kings 0: In Los Angeles, forty-somethings Jaromir Jagr and Ray Whitney scored 4:22 apart in the third period.
• Canadiens 5, Islanders 2: In Uniondale, N.Y., Brian Gionta scored the go-ahead goal 48 seconds into the third period, and P.K. Subban added two more.
• Panthers 3, Rangers 1: In New York, Jacob Markstrom made 44 saves and just missed his first NHL shutout.
• Bruins 2, Senators 1: In Ottawa, Dennis Seidenberg scored with 1:04 left to lift the Bruins to the victory.
• Capitals 4, Jets 0: In Winnipeg, Manitoba, Braden Holtby made 19 saves for his fourth shutout of the season, and Alexander Ovechkin had a goal and two assists.
• Sabres 5, Maple Leafs 4, SO: In Buffalo, N.Y., Steve Ott scored the decisive goal in the sixth round of the shootout
• Predators 5, Flames 3: In Nashville, Tenn., Mike Fisher scored two goals, and Nashville snapped a four-game losing streak.