GLENDALE - Mike Smith stopped 17 shots and the Phoenix Coyotes were at their tight-checking best in a 2-0 win over the Dallas Stars on Saturday night.
Nick Johnson scored his third goal of the season and Mikkel Boedker his second for the Coyotes (3-4-2), who have points in four straight games and have gotten back to their stay-at-home style that helped them reach the Western Conference finals last season.
Phoenix kept the Stars to the outside offensively most of the night. Smith was there to turn away anything near the net for his 20th career shutout, first this season.
"He looked like Smitty out there," Coyotes coach Dave Tippett said. "It's the first game I'd say he looked confident all year."
It was the third meeting between the two teams. Dallas had the edge in the first two games, beating Phoenix 4-3 in the season opener behind Jaromir Jagr's two goals and two assists, then in a shootout by the same score Friday night.
• Penguins 5, Devils 1: In Pittsburgh, Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz each had a goal and two assists, and the Penguins picked up their first home victory of the season, handing New Jersey its first loss in regulation.
• Avalanche 3, Oilers 1: In Denver, P.A. Parenteau and Jamie McGinn scored goals 3:29 apart in the second period, and Semyon Varlamov had 25 saves to help Colorado rally past Edmonton after losing defenseman Ryan Wilson to a leg injury.
• Canadiens 6, Sabres 1: In Montreal, Rene Bourque and David Desharnais each scored twice, and Carey Price had 30 saves for his fifth win of the season to lead the Canadiens over Buffalo.
• Bruins 1, Maple Leafs 0: In Toronto, Chris Bourque scored his first goal with the Bruins and Boston held on to edge the Maple Leafs behind James Reimer's 33 saves.
• Hurricanes 5, Flyers 3: In Philadelphia, Claude Giroux and Danny Briere each had a goal and an assist to help the Flyers beat Carolina for only their third win in nine games.
• Rangers 3, Lightning 2: In Tampa Bay, Fla., Rick Nash scored a go-ahead goal early in the third period and New York beat Tampa Bay.
• Blue Jackets 4, Red Wings 2: In Columbus, Ohio, Artem Anisimov scored twice in the second period, and Steve Mason stopped 32 shots to lead Columbus past Detroit. James Wisniewski also scored for Columbus but left with a concussion.
• Blackhawks at Flames: Late
• Kings at Ducks: Late
• Predators at Sharks: Late
• The NHL has suspended Washington Capitals defenseman John Erskine for three games for elbowing Philadelphia Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds.