Bruins left wing Milan Lucic celebrates his empty-net goal with exultant fans at Boston’s TD Garden on Saturday. The Bruins beat Montreal 5-3, storming back with four unanswered goals in the final period to avoid losing consecutive home games in the Eastern Conference semifinals series. 


BOSTON — The Boston Bruins rallied from two goals down to avoid another two-game deficit against arch rival Montreal.

Reilly Smith scored the go-ahead goal with 3 minutes, 32 seconds left and Boston scored four times in eight minutes to beat the Canadiens 5-3 on Saturday and even the Eastern Conference semifinals series at one game apiece.

“It was a fun last part of the third period,” said Torey Krug, who set up Smith’s goal. “We’re very excited with how things turned out, but we’ve got to move along from it pretty soon.”

Games 3 and 4 are on Tuesday and Thursday in Montreal, where in 2011 Boston won twice in its first-round series after losing the first two at home. 

The Bruins trailed 3-1 with just over nine minutes remaining before Dougie Hamilton scored. Patrice Bergeron tied it with 5:43 remaining, then Smith wristed a cross-ice pass from Krug past Montreal goalie Carey Price to give Boston the lead. Milan Lucic added an empty-net goal with 1:06 left.

“We weren’t expecting to come in here and sweep two games,” said Price, who stopped 30 shots. “They poured it on a little and they were a little lucky, I thought. They were playing desperate at the end. We’ve just got to regroup and realize what situation we’re in. We’re in a good spot.”

Tuukka Rask had 25 saves for Boston — the first time in 10 tries in his career that he has beaten the Bruins’ Original Six rival at the TD Garden. Montreal won Game 1 in double overtime.

“The feeling of winning is a lot better,” Rask said. “I’m happy how we bounced back after we were down 3-1.”

Montreal’s Thomas Vanek twice tipped P.K. Subban’s slap shots into the net, and Mike Weaver also scored for the Canadiens, who lost for the first time in this year’s playoffs.

Kings 3, Ducks 2, OT: In Anaheim, Calif., Marian Gaborik scored with seven seconds left in regulation to force overtime, then scored 12:07 into the extra period to lift Los Angeles to an overtime win against Anaheim in the opener of the first-ever playoff series between the Southern California teams.

Gaborik redirected Anze Kopitar’s shot past Jonas Hiller for the winner before being mobbed in the corner by his teammates. Gaborik also had an assist on L.A.’s first goal of the night.

The Ducks and their fans — who got to chant “Beat L.A.!” for the first time in the postseason — appeared poised for a win after 43-year-old Teemu Selanne beat Jonathan Quick between the pads for a go-ahead goal with 11:52 to play in regulation.

It was the first goal and fourth point of the playoffs for the Finnish Flash, who plans to retire at season’s end.

But the Kings pulled Quick for a sixth attacker with 1:22 left. In the closing seconds, Mike Richards took a shot from along the left boards, and Gaborik wristed the rebound past Hiller, who slumped in the net after giving up the tying goal.

Quick had 33 saves for the Kings.

The Ducks and Kings had waited 20 years to meet in the postseason.