DENVER — Antoine Vermette scored two goals, Thomas Greiss stopped 29 shots and the Phoenix Coyotes beat the Colorado Avalanche 3-1 on Tuesday night.
Jordan Szwarz also had a goal for the Coyotes, who won for just the second time in five games.Phoenix has struggled of late, going 3-5-2 in its past 10 games to slip to ninth in the Western Conference. Tuesday’s win pulled the Coyotes within a point of Colorado.
Patrick Bordeleau scored his fourth goal of the season and goalie Semyon Varlamov had 22 saves for the Avalanche, who have lost three of their past four. Despite a strong start to the season, Colorado is eighth in the Western Conference.
- Bruins 2, Flames 1:
- In Calgary, Alberta, Reilly Smith scored the tiebreaking goal at 15:27 of the third period and Boston beat the Flames in Jarome Iginla’s return to Calgary.
David Krejci scored a power-play goal almost 14 minutes into the third to pull Boston even. Only 1:38 later, Smith skated down the left wing, cut around defenseman T.J. Brodie and roofed a shot into the top corner of the net over the outstretched glove of Reto Berra.
- Capitals 6, Lightning 5, SO:
- In Washington, Alex Ovechkin scored four goals, including the equalizer with 32.4 seconds left in regulation, and the Washington Capitals rallied to win in a shootout.
Ovechkin increased his NHL-leading total to 26 goals and became Washington’s career leader in power-play goals, scoring twice with the extra man to pass Peter Bondra, who had 137.
- Oilers 5, Hurricanes 4, OT
- : In Edmonton, Alberta, Jordan Eberle scored a power-play goal at 1:48 of overtime for Edmonton. Taylor Hall, Nail Yakupov, Nugent-Hopkins and Jesse Joensuu also scored for the Oilers, who have gone 7-3-1 in their past 11 games.
- Panthers 3, Red Wings, 2 SO:
- In Sunrise, Fla., Brad Boyes scored the winning goal in a shootout to lift Florida.
Aleksander Barkov also scored in the tiebreaker for Florida, which has won three of four overall and two in a row against the Red Wings.
- Predators 4, Rangers 1:
- In New York, Nick Spaling and Rich Clune scored first-period goals, and seldom-used backup Carter Hutton made 28 saves as Nashville snapped a five-game losing streak by beating New York.
- Sabres 2, Senators 1, SO:
- In Buffalo, N.Y., Zemgus Girgensons scored the tying goal in the second period and added a score in the 10th round of a shootout to lift Buffalo over Ottawa.
- Blue Jackets 5, Devils 4:
- In Columbus, Ohio, Nick Foligno scored the game-winning goal with 91 seconds left when Ryan Johansen’s shot went in off his skate, giving Columbus the victory.
- Kings 6, Canadiens 0:
- In Montreal, rookie goalie Martin Jones made 31 saves for his second shutout in two games, and six Los Angeles players scored against Montreal.
- Blackhawks 6, Stars 2:
- In Dallas, Patrick Sharp scored twice to extend his domination of Dallas and help Chicago cruise.
- Blues 2, Jets 1:
- In Winnipeg, Manitoba, Kevin Shattenkirk scored a power-play goal at 16:58 of the third period to give St. Louis a win over Winnipeg.