AN JOSE, Calif. - Logan Couture scored the lone goal in the shootout to lead the San Jose Sharks to their fourth straight win, a 3-2 decision over the Phoenix Coyotes on Saturday night.
Marc-Edouard Vlasic celebrated his 26th birthday by scoring the game-tying goal with 5 minutes left in the third period. Joe Pavelski also scored for the Sharks, extending his streak to four straight games with a goal.
Antti Niemi made 27 saves as San Jose extended its longest winning streak since opening the season with seven consecutive wins. Niemi stopped Antoine Vermette in overtime and turned aside all three shootout attempts.
Boyd Gordon and Radim Vrbata scored for the Coyotes, who have lost eight of the past nine games to plummet in the Western Conference standings.
• Penguins 2, Islanders 0: In Pittsburgh, The Penguins overcame an injury to Sidney Crosby for their 15th straight victory,in Jarome Iginla's debut behind third-period goals from Matt Cooke and James Neal.
Tomas Vokoun made 35 saves as Pittsburgh moved within two wins of the NHL record of 17 straight victories set by Mario Lemieux and the 1992-93 Penguins.
Crosby skated off the ice with a towel covering his mouth after a slap shot by teammate Brooks Orpik deflected off a stick and hit the NHL scoring leader in the face just 1:28 into the game. • Hurricanes 3, Jets 1: In Winnipeg, Manitoba, Justin Peters made 34 saves to help Carolina keep its playoff hopes alive with a victory over Southeast Division-leading Winnipeg.
• Avalanche 1, Predators 0, OT: In Denver, Tyson Barrie scored at 50 seconds of overtime and Colorado beat Nashville.
Semyon Varlamov stopped 34 shots for his third shutout of the season and the 11th of his career.
• Flyers 3, Bruins 1: In Philadelphia, Mike Knuble and Matt Read scored, Ilya Bryzgalov made 33 saves and Philadelphia snapped a four-game losing streak.
Ruslan Fedotenko added an empty-net goal for the Flyers, who began the day 14th in the Eastern Conference but only six points out of the eighth and final playoff spot.
• Canadiens 3, Rangers 0: In Montreal, Michael Ryder and Tomas Plekanec scored in the first period and Carey Price made 34 saves in Montreal's shutout.
Brendan Gallagher also scored while P.K. Subban had three assists for the Canadiens.
• Capitals 4, Sabres 3, SO: In Buffalo, N.Y., Alex Ovechkin scored once in regulation and again in a shootout to help Washington rally.
Matt Hendricks also scored for Washington in the shootout.
• Maple Leafs 4, Senators 0: In Ottawa, Nazem Kadri had a hat trick and James Reimer made 31 saves for Toronto. Joffrey Lupul also scored and added three assists for the Leafs.
• Panthers 3, Devils 2, OT: In Sunrise, Fla., Dmitry Kulikov scored at 1:43 of overtime for Florida.
Kulikov's shot from the right circle beat Martin Brodeur on the far side and was his first goal of the season.
• Wild 4, Kings 3, SO: In St. Paul, Minn., Mikko Koivu scored in a shootout for Minnesota.
Koivu also had two assists in regulation. Matt Cullen also had a goal, Zach Parise had a goal and an assist and Niklas Backstrom stopped 28 shots for Minnesota.
• Oilers 4, Canucks 0: In Edmonton, Alberta, Taylor Hall had a hat trick and Edmonton scored early and often to make it three victories in a row.