Bidding for her fourth world championship, Marana’s Sherry Cervi won another rodeo last week, earning $5,700 at the Justin Boots Playoffs in Puyallup, Wash., and then, a day later, earned $1,614 for a third-place barrel racing performance at the Lewiston Roundup in Lewiston, Idaho. Cervi now has $146,096 in the WPRA, about $16,195 more than the No. 2 barrel racer. … Salpointe and UA grad Jonathan Khan advanced to the PGA Tour Qualifying School on Friday at the PGA West facility in La Quinta, Calif. Khan shot rounds of 74-71-71 in pre-qualifying, 17th of 75 golfers, and will be eligible for the PGA Tour’s first-stage playoffs next month. … Paradise Valley Community College softball coach Nick Candrea is the brother of Arizona coach Mike Candrea. They have begun a recruiting pipeline. Last spring, PVCC first-team All-America pitcher/infielder Erika Tapia , a Douglas High School grad, led the ACCAC with a .542 batting average. She left PVCC with one year of eligibility remaining and is now part of Arizona’s roster, which begins a nine-game fall schedule in early October. Candrea has 11 new players, and 24 overall, which is about 10 more than he usually carries during the regular season. The highlight of the UA’s fall schedule: an Oct. 13 game against powerful Pima College, 5:30 p.m., at Hillenbrand Stadium. … Salpointe and UA grad Dennis Palmer , a club pro who helped to transform the Tubac Golf Resort into one of Southern Arizona’s golfing jewels, has played golf for 43 years. He has had two holes-in-one, including one playing right-handed and another left-handed. But he hit the shot of his life last week at Randolph North. He registered a rare double-eagle at the par-5, No. 9 hole, as his shot with a utility-club from 204 yards rolled into the cup. Anybody else ever see a double-eagle in Tucson? Pretty rare.
Wildcat Sports Report
Sign up to get sports news and blog headlines
- Arizona Wildcats picked No. 1 in ESPN's latest preseason poll
- Arizona basketball: Well-traveled Kadeem Allen visits Lakers
- Arizona basketball: Emmanuel Akot to reclassify, join Wildcats next season
- Rawle Alkins to withdraw from NBA Draft, return to Arizona Wildcats
- Arizona basketball: Alkins subbed out of Jazz workout
- RichRod: New Arizona Wildcats QB Donavan Tate to provide 'immediate competition'
- DE Darrell Cloy Jr. becomes latest Arizona Wildcat to take medical retirement
- Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez not thrilled with outcomes of NCAA rule changes
- Arizona Wildcats tight end Brion Anduze forced to retire because of knee injury
- Three-star linebacker Issaiah Johnson commits to Arizona Wildcats
Never miss a deal!
Signup to get deals in your inbox.