Cienega sophomore Kayla Green struck out five batters Tuesday, and the second-seeded Bobcats scored seven times in the second inning on their way to a 9-6 win over No. 15 Tucson.
The Bobcats (26-3) will face No. 10 Mesa Desert Ridge today at Rose Mofford Complex in Phoenix in the third round of the Division I state tournament. It is the first round of double-elimination play.
Green improved to 12-1 with her complete-game win and got plenty of run support early: Cienega scored two in the first inning and seven in the second.
"We were just seeing the ball big that inning," Cienega coach Eric Tatham said. "I was really proud of it, one of the best we've had."
Cienega committed four errors and gave up two runs in the top of the seventh. Senior A.J. Hervey led the offense, going 3 for 3 with a single, double and triple.
• No. 5 Mesa Mountain View 2, No. 12 Sunnyside 1: At Mountain View, the Toros scored on a blooper to right field in the bottom of the 10th inning to eliminate Sunnyside from the tournament.
Senior Alexandria Reyes took the loss, only her second this season. The Blue Devils finish the season with a 23-10 record.
• No. 10 Mesa Desert Ridge 6, No. 7 Marana 2: At Marana, junior pitcher Casey Cadenhead held Desert Ridge off until the seventh inning. After two errors and a string of hits, the Jaguars posted all six of their runs and never looked back. Sophomore Jordan Wengert pitched in relief, but the damage was already done for the Tigers (27-7). Junior Sierra Cuestas homered for Marana.
• No. 4 Ironwood Ridge 7, No. 13 Goodyear Desert Edge 6: At I-Ridge, the Nighthawks scored six runs in their final at-bat to rally from a four-run deficit. I-Ridge recorded nine singles, two sacrifice flies and won on a walk-off double from junior Erin Rocker. The Nighthawks (24-9) will face No. 12 Salpointe Catholic today at Cherry Field. The 6:30 p.m. game will open double-elimination play.
• No. 12 Salpointe Catholic 6, No. 5 Phoenix Paradise Valley 1: At Paradise Valley, senior captain Emily Griffin pitched a complete game with 13 strikeouts, junior Denae Fisher hit three doubles and freshman Brianna Aguilar-Beaucage homered as the Lancers ended Paradise Valley's 10-game winning streak.
Salpointe (19-8) will play Ironwood Ridge today.
• No. 2 Canyon del Oro 2, No. 5 Sabino 0: At CDO, senior Alexis Alfonso struck out 11 in a complete-game shutout to improve to 13-4 and lead the Dorados (29-4).
Freshman Carli Campbell had an RBI single in the second inning and Dominique Gonzalez hit a solo home run with two outs in the fifth inning. CDO, the defending state champions, will play No. 7 Phoenix Greenway in today's third round in Phoenix.
• No. 7 Phoenix Greenway 5, No. 10 Sahuaro 0: At Greenway, the Cougars held Greenway to four hits but registered three errors to suffer their second loss in three games. The Demons scored three in the third and two in the second. Sahuaro finishes the season 22-11.