TEMPE - The Arizona Cardinals released quarterback John Skelton on Monday and are trying to work out a trade to bring quarterback Carson Palmer from Oakland.
Skelton, who started 17 games for the team over the past three seasons, beat out Kevin Kolb for the starting job in training camp last season. He was hurt in the opener and Kolb took over. Skelton returned as starter when Kolb was injured, but lost the job due to poor performance. Arizona then released Kolb, who went to Buffalo.
• Oakland acquired Seattle backup QB Matt Flynn for draft picks, forcing Palmer out. The Raiders will send a fifth-round pick in 2014 and a conditional pick in 2015 to Seattle. Flynn and Terrelle Pryor will vie to be the starter.
• Indianapolis agreed to terms with free agent receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, a former Oakland star.
• Cornerback DeAngelo Hall is back with the Redskins, agreeing to a more affordable one-year contract after being cut for salary cap reasons three weeks ago.
• Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy, who became expendable when Cleveland signed veteran free agent quarterback Jason Campbell last week, was traded Monday to the San Francisco 49ers for two draft picks.
• Jacksonville released defensive tackle C.J. Mosley.
• Tennessee signed ex-Texans receiver Kevin Walter and ex-Bears offensive lineman Chris Spencer.
• New Orleans signed ex-Dallas defensive end Kenyon Coleman and ex-Cleveland QB Luke McCown.
• Cincinnati re-signed cornerback Terence Newman.
• Baltimore special teams player Christian Thompson was suspended without pay for the first four games of the 2013 season for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy.
UA women's golf team jumps to third
Janie Jackson shot a 1-under-par 71 as the Arizona women's golf team moved from sixth to third at the SDSU Farms Invitational in Rancho Santa Fe, Calif., with a two-day score of 28-over 604, 17 strokes behind leader USC.
The tourney ends today, with UA's Manon Gidali tied for fifth at 4-over 148. USC's Sophia Popov leads by five.
• In soccer, Demba Ba sent Chelsea into the FA Cup semifinals with a 1-0 victory over Manchester United on Monday. Ba hooked the ball over goalie David De Gea early in the second half to set up a Wembley Stadium meeting with Manchester City. United was denied an equalizer on Petr Cech's save on Javier Hernandez's close-range header. United played without Wayne Rooney (groin injury).
• In hockey, Russian Dmitri Uchaykin, 32, a forward for Ertis Pavlodar in the Kazakhstani league, died several days after a violent hit to the head during a playoff game.
• In cycling, Australian Simon Gerrans won the first stage of the Tour of Basque Country with a sprint finish in Elgoibar, Spain, edging Peter Velits of Slovakia.
Includes material from a news release