Tucson Soccer Academy FC moved into sole possession of first place Tuesday night with a 4-1 victory over Phoenix del Sol in Casa Grande.
The two teams began the night tied for first in the Big Sky-North Division of the Women's Professional Soccer League.
Jordan Davidson gave TSA FC an early lead, scoring in the first minute. Phoenix del Sol tied the game in the sixth minute, but Karina Camacho reclaimed the lead for TSA in the 19th minute.
Second-half goals by Kaitlyn Lopez and Justene Kesterson rounded out the scoring.
The same two teams will play Saturday at 5:15 p.m. at Kino Sports Complex Field No. 5. That game will be followed by an FC Tucson game.
Lakers meet with Howard, want him back
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. - Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak, Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash and other representatives of the team met Tuesday for two hours with free agent center Dwight Howard to make their pitch for keeping him in Los Angeles.
Kupchak said in a statement, "We told him how important he is to the Lakers team, franchise, fans and community."
The Lakers can offer a maximum of $118 million over five seasons, and other teams can offer $88 million over four years.
• The Timberwolves have agreed to terms on a three-year, $16 million deal with free agent swingman Chase Budinger, a former Arizona Wildcat.
Budinger averaged 9.4 points and shot 32 percent from three-point range in 23 games last season. He missed much of the season with a knee injury, but Timberwolves coach Rick Adelman and new team president Flip Saunders made getting Budinger back to Minnesota one of the team's top priorities.
• Martell Webster has agreed to a four-year deal to stay with the Wizards. He reached terms with the team Tuesday. The contract can't be signed until July 10 under NBA free agency rules. Webster tweeted a video of himself saying: "I'm back. You got me for four years, D.C."
Pima soccer teams will call Kino home
Starting next month, the Pima College men's and women's soccer teams will play their home games at Kino Sports Complex.
The first home game is Aug. 22. Most games will be doubleheaders with the women's match first, followed by the men's match.
• In Istanbul, Spain striker Jese scored in injury time as his team came from behind to beat Mexico 2-1 and set up a quarterfinal against Uruguay at the Under-20 World Cup on Tuesday. The European Under-19 soccer champions will be joined by France, which beat host Turkey 4-1 to line up a meeting with Uzbekistan, a 3-1 winner over Greece.
• In the WNBA, Candice Dupree scored 20 points, including six straight in a key third-quarter sequence, and grabbed seven rebounds, leading the Phoenix Mercury past the New York Liberty 94-87 Tuesday night. DaWanna Bonner went 5 of 8 from beyond the three-point arc and also had 20 points for the Mercury, who have won eight of nine since losing their first three.
• Baylor women's basketball coach Kim Mulkey was suspended from her team's next NCAA tournament game for criticizing the officiating after a loss to Louisville last spring. The NCAA also reprimanded Mulkey and withheld Baylor's team championship per diem from the regional round. After Louisville upset top-seeded Baylor 82-81 in March, Mulkey said the game was far too physical, and she singled out the officials.
Includes material from a news release