The University of Arizona gymnastics team finished third at an NCAA regional in Columbus, Ohio, on Saturday, and missed reaching the NCAA Championships.
UA's Aubree Cristello did qualify as an individual, however. Her score of 39.375 in the all-around advanced her to the Championships, which will be held April 19-21.
• The Arizona women notched 188 points to win the Jim Click Shootout on Saturday. Ohio State claimed the men's title with 102 points, while UA (69) was fourth. The UA women won 10 events, including four by Shapri Romero. The junior took first in the 200 and 400 and was part of winning teams in the 4x100 and 4x400 relays.
• The UA men's golf team is in seventh place after two rounds of the ASU Thunderbird Invitational in Tempe. The Wildcats trail leader New Mexico by 12 strokes.
• UA (9-11, 1-5) lost 5-1 to No. 2 USC in women's tennis Saturday at the Robson Tennis Center. The Wildcat men lost 7-0 at UCLA.
Empire softball coach resigns
Empire High School softball coach Laura Espinoza-Watson resigned earlier this week.
Athletic director Jorge Mendivil confirmed the move Saturday, but offered few details. Shannon Woolridge, a Vail School District employee, has filled in for Espinoza-Watson, a former UA softball player, since she resigned Tuesday. The Ravens are ranked second in Division III and are undefeated in regular-season games with 10 games left before the state tournament.
"Obviously, there is a concern but obviously we've got to move forward and try to figure out what's best for us," Mendivil said. Espinoza-Watson has did not return a phone message left for her Saturday.
Tucson's Glad makes U.S. U-17 team
Tucson teenager Justen Glad was named to the 20-man roster for the U.S. Under-17 national soccer team that will open play today in the CONCACAF Under-17 Championship in Panama.
Glad, a former Catalina Foothills High School standout who was on the Arizona Daily Star's All-Southern Arizona first team as a freshman in 2011-12, is one of six defenders on the roster for the U.S. team that will face Haiti today at 3:30 p.m. Tucson time.
The Americans, who will face Guatemala on Thursday in their other Group C match, are looking to qualify for their 15th straight FIFA U-17 World Cup.
• Left back Bo Bechdal scored in the 70th minute to help FC Tucson tie UC-Riverside 2-2 in an exhibition match at Grand Canyon University in Phoenix on Saturday night. Saeed Robinson also scored for FC Tucson.
Sophomore Edwards named All-American
Pima women's basketball player A'jha Edwards (Tombstone) was named a first-team NCAA All-American on Saturday.
• The Pima softball team (32-16, 24-12) swept Paradise Valley on the road Saturday, winning 10-2 and 13-2. Cynthia Pelayo went 6 for 7 with four RBIs on the day.
• The Pima baseball team (20-20-1, 10-14) split at Chandler-Gilbert, winning 6-4 and losing 4-2.
Serena routs Venus 6-1, 6-2
CHARLESTON, S.C. - Serena Williams routed Venus Williams 6-1, 6-2 at the Family Circle Cup on Saturday, the most one-sided match in the sisters' long rivalry.
• Johnny Sauter passed Jeb Burton for the lead on a restart with 17 laps to go Saturday and won the NASCAR truck race at Martinsville Speedway.
- Daniel Gaona Includes material from a news release