Arizona Wildcats quarterback Matt Scott had a 57-yard touchdown pass and helped the West beat the East 28-13 in Saturday's East-West Shrine Game in St. Petersburg, Fla.
Scott played just 15 snaps, all coming in the second quarter, but he completed three of four passes for 81 yards and ran once for 5 yards. His TD pass went to Mississippi State's Chad Bumphis. Scott, who threw for 3,620 yards and 27 touchdowns as a senior, is rated as the ninth best QB prospect in the 2013 NFL Draft by nfldraftscout.com.
Wildcats receiver Dan Buckner, who was also on the West, didn't have any catches in the win.
UA center Kyle Quinn played left guard for the National team, which beat the American 34-0 in Saturday's NFLPA Collegiate Bowl in Carson, Calif. UA's Taimi Tutogi was scheduled to play, but was not on the final roster.
• When Notre Dame star Manti Te'o ordered two dozen white roses delivered to 21503 Water Street in Carson, Calif., he says he thought they were headed to the home of his dead girlfriend, Lennay Kekua. In fact, Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, the man implicated as the ringleader of the false-identity girlfriend hoax, and his relatives had lived in the bungalow, according to public records and interviews with neighbors. Te'o said he was later contacted by Tuiasosopo, 22, and that the man had admitted to masterminding the scam.
UA gymnastics squad wins meet in Texas
Aubree Cristello won two events and the all-around title to help the Arizona gymnastics team beat Brigham Young 195.800-194.350 in a four-way meet with host Texas Womans University (191.475) and Wisconsin-Whitewater (185.900) on Saturday night in Denton, Texas.
Cristello captured the all-around with a score of 39.150 after winning the beam (9.850) and vault (9.925). UA's Kristin Klarenbach won the floor exercise with a 9.900.
• In women's tennis, host Arizona beat UC Davis 6-1.
• In hockey, No. 18 Arizona beat No. 5 Oklahoma 4-3 in an overtime shootout Saturday night at TCC Arena. Zack Waxenberg and Ansel Ivens-Anderson scored the shootout goals as UA (14-15) gained its sixth win over a top 10 team.
• The Pima College women's basketball team fell 63-60 in overtime to visiting Arizona Western after giving up a three-point play with 5.8 seconds left. A'jha Edwards had 14 points, eight rebounds and three blocks for the Aztecs (9-11, 5-6).
• Lawrence Pierce had 18 points and seven rebounds as the Pima men (6-14, 1-11) lost to Arizona Western 52-44.
Barcelona drops first Spanish league match
BARCELONA, Spain - Despite Lionel Messi's early goal, Barcelona lost its first match of the Spanish league season, squandering a two-goal lead in a 3-2 defeat at Real Sociedad and allowing an injury-time winner from Imanol Agirretxe.
• Manchester City kept pressure on Premier League leader Manchester United with a 2-0 win over Fulham behind David Silva's two goals. City trails United by four points.
• Milwuakee Brewers first baseman Corey Hart will miss the next three to four months with right knee surgery.
Daniel Berk Includes material from news releases