A former grocery store is being transformed into a luxury dinner movie theater.
Galaxy Theatres has leased the 50,000-square-foot space previously occupied by Bashas’ on the southwest corner of Broadway and Houghton Road, in the Montesa Plaza.
A $1.6 million building permit was issued for the construction of the theater that will feature reclining lounge chairs and an expanded concessions menu.
The theater is expected to open by the end of the year.
Galaxy has 12 locations in California, Nevada, Texas, Washington and Arizona.
The farthest east-side movie theater for new movies now is Park Place.
Other construction activity around town includes:
- A shell warehouse at the Tucson Airport Commerce Center, 2850 E. Drexel Road, received a $14 million permit for the 400,000-square-foot space.
- An $8 million permit was issued for construction of a 63,000-square-foot Hampton Inn at 6300 W. Marana Center Blvd.
- National Self Storage is building more than 86,000 square feet of units for $7.4 million at 12071 N. Thornydale Road.
- Mira Vista Resort is adding 14 units at 7525 N. Wade Road with a $2.7 million building permit.
- Hobby Lobby is under construction at 6484 N. Oracle Road. The $2.5 million permit is for a 55,500-square-foot store.
- A $1.3 million permit was issued to build a 21,000-square-foot industrial building for Atlas Copco at 6393 S. Campbell Ave.
- US Golf got a $1.2 million permit for barrier netting at 4050 W. Costco Place.
- TMM Family Services Inc. is building a 10-unit transitional housing duplex at 3131 E. Lee St. The permit for the 8,900-square-foot homes was for $1 million.
- Playground is fixing up the 12,000-square-foot space with a $900,000 tenant-improvement permit at 278 E. Congress St.
- The shopping center under construction on Irvington Road and Interstate 19, called The Landing, got a $738,000 permit to build a 5,500-square-foot restaurant for Oregano’s.