The Old Pueblo is full of people who make art, support art and teach art.
And for the past 11 years, many of them have been presented with "Lumies" - awards given to honor those who honor the arts.
This year's event is slated for Thursday at El Casino Ballroom, which in itself has honored the arts in the Old Pueblo since 1947. It has been the site of many a concert, as well as at the center of big social events in our town.
This year's event promises to be a rockin' one: The Jons will be providing the entertainment, and dancing on El Casino's expansive dance floor will be encouraged.
Jim Glock, director of the city of Tucson's Department of Transportation, is to receive a Special Recognition Award for his advocacy for the arts in Tucson.
The winners of the Lumies will be named from these nominations from the public:
Emerging Arts Organization
People are also reading…
• Casa Libre en la Solana
• My Town Music
• The da Vinci Players
• Warehouse Artists Management Organization
Established Arts Organization
• 91.3 KXCI Community Radio
• Arizona Friends of Chamber Music
• Children's Museum Tucson
• International Mariachi Conference
• KORE Press
• Museum of Contemporary Art
• Pan Left
• University of Arizona Poetry Center
Arts Education Program
• Tucson Arts Brigade
• Sonoran Glass Art Academy
• Tucson Jazz Institute
• Terrie Ashbaugh, director, Southern Arizona Women's Chorus
• Moira Geoffrion, artist, faculty member (retiring this year), University of Arizona School of Art
• Angela Rose, painter and mosaic artist, who uses art to teach about the environment
• Artist Michael Schwartz, one of the founder members of the Tucson Arts Brigrade.
• Alida Holguin Wilson-Gunn, actress who heads up the education outreach program at Borderlands Theater.
• Sarnoff Artist Materials
• Zocalo Magazine
• Cox Communications
• Tucson International Airport
• Norma Davenport
• Fletcher McCusker
• Dorothy Vanek
• Regina Romero
• John Wells
• Architect and artist Bill Mackey
• Filmmaker Angela Soto
• Visual artist Mykl Wells
• Jessica Andrews, Arizona Theatre Company interim executive director
• Musician Dean Armstrong (posthumous nomination)
• Hand weaver Crane Day
• Julie Gallego, owner of VIVA Hispanic Performing Arts Center
• Sculptor/public artist Barbara Grygutis
• Artist To-Ree-Nee Wolf McArdle
• Painter Marvin Shaver
• Julie Sasse, artist and curator at Tucson Museum of Art
• David Tineo, artist
If you go
2011 Lumie Awards
• Presented by: Tucson/Pima Arts Council.
• When: 7 p.m. Thursday.
• Where: El Casino Ballroom, 437 E. 26th St.
• Tickets: $35 in advance, $45 at the door.
• Reservations: wwwtucsonpimaartscouncilorg.eventbrite.com
• Et cetera: Want to mingle with the nominees? $60 will get you into a pre-event cocktail party, and the main event.