Officers and detectives from the Tucson Police Department investigate an officer involved shooting at Fort Lowell Park on Aug. 14, 2019.

A man was shot by a Tucson police officer after authorities say he approached officers at a park holding a knife and ignored their commands to drop it Wednesday afternoon. 

The man, said to be in his 30s, was taken to a hospital with serious injuries, according to Sgt. Pete Dugan, a department spokesman. 

Just after 11 a.m., police were at Fort Lowell Park, near North Craycroft Road and East Glenn Street, after finishing an unrelated call nearby. 

While at the park, officers noticed a man and woman were "acting suspicious," according to a news release. Police made contact with the woman as the man rode away on a bicycle. While speaking with her, the man returned and approached the officers. Dugan said the man and woman are associated, but their relationship is currently unknown. 

The man was armed with a knife and began making suicidal statements, Dugan said. As he approached the officers, “multiple commands were given” for the man to drop the knife. However, the man did not drop the knife, Dugan said. 

“He continued to advance at the officers,” Dugan said, despite an officer deploying his Taser, the news release later said. Officer Alberto Olivares — a 24-year veteran of TPD — fired his weapon, striking the man. Dugan said it's unknown why he approached the officers.

Officers began rendering aid until Tucson Fire could take over. He was taken to the hospital with serious injuries, Dugan said. 

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

No officers were injured.

Anyone with further information should call 911 or 88-CRIME, the anonymous tipster line.

This an ongoing investigation. The story will be updated.

Contact Star reporter Shaq Davis at 573-4218 or

On Twitter: @ShaqDavis1


Shaq is a public safety reporter and the Road Runner columnist, keeping readers up to date on transportation news. In 2017, he started as an apprentice and later worked part-time until graduating from the UA and being offered a full-time position in 2018.