1 of 5
Samantha Cormier acts in a scene from "Jack and the Beanstalk" during Mildred & Dildred toy store's featured monthly play. On Saturday, the store at La Encantada shopping center will host a Carnival for Charity, which will combine a host of fun events for kids and at the same time raise funds for two charities: Katie's Heart and Make Way for Books. The festival runs from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday.
Mildred & Dildred owner Autumn Ruhe reads aloud from "Harry Goes to Dog School" during the production.
Andy Vandergraaf, 4, and other kids get into the performance in a courtyard outside the store.
Samantha Cormier, left, waits "backstage" for her cue to enter the "Jack and the Beanstalk" play. The 20-minute play was staged on Saturday. Kneeling in front of a group of kids and parents is Autumn Ruhe in the role of Jack.
As Nikki Brzescinski narrates in the background, Cormier, front, speaks to the young audience.
• What: Mildred & Dildred Carnival to benefit Katie's Heart and Make Way for Books.
• When: 10 a.m.-noon Saturday.
• Where: Mildred & Dildred at La Encantada, 2905 E. Skyline Drive.
• Cost: $1 per activity. A donation of one used book per child for Make Way for Books can be exchanged for one free carnival activity.
• The details: Festivities include games such as bowling, catapult darts, digging for prizes in the sand, and remote-control car racing. Other activities include face painting, music and food.
• Proceeds: All proceeds benefit Katie's Heart and Make Way for Books. Also, 20 percent of all toy and book sales at Mildred & Dildred on Saturday will benefit the two charities. For more information, call 615-6266.