Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Your taxes can help charities that serve kids, the working poor
web only

Your taxes can help charities that serve kids, the working poor

  • Updated

Here’s what you need to know about claiming a tax credit for donations to charitable organizations.

Charitable organizations that qualify for this credit are those that help the working poor, or those that help children who are chronically ill or disabled.

The maximum credit for a qualifying charitable organization donation is $800 for married couples filing jointly and $400 for all other filers.

You do not have to itemize deductions to claim a credit for contributions to charities that provide assistance to the working poor.

Many well-known organizations assist the working poor and qualify for this deduction. To claim the charitable organization credits, use Form 321.

Contributions made between Jan. 1, 2018 and April 17, 2018, may be claimed as a credit on either your 2017 or 2018 tax return.

New this year is that Arizona has assigned a code number to each qualifying charitable organization. Donors will be required to enter this number on their tax returns to get the credit. You can find code numbers for qualifying charitable organizations below and at and for qualifying foster care charitable organizations and at

Subscribe to stay connected to Tucson. A subscription helps you access more of the local stories that keep you connected to the community.

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News