Henry Oyama, longtime civil-rights, bilingual-ed advocate in Tucson, dies at 86
HENRY OYAMA | 1926-2013

Henry Oyama, longtime civil-rights, bilingual-ed advocate in Tucson, dies at 86

Civil-rights pioneer and longtime educator Henry "Hank" Oyama died late Tuesday night after a long illness. He was 86.

Oyama's health had been failing for weeks, his family said. He had been in hospice care.

The native Tucsonan led a distinguished life that inspired affection, respect and admiration.

• In the 1940s, he and his family were among Japanese-Americans sent to internment camps during World War II.

• In the late 1950s, he fought a state law that prohibited interracial marriage.

• And in the 1960s, he and other educators researched bilingual education and held a national symposium that led to federal legislation that funded bilingual education.

"Hank was unique. He was a staunch supporter of bilingual education and helped so many, many students over the years," said Pepe Barrón, chief executive officer of Luz Social Services Inc., and a longtime educator.

"He started programs at Pima Community College in bilingual and international studies, and he also found a scholarship fund for Chicano students. He was there for those in need," Barrón said.

"Hank was my social studies teacher at Pueblo High School in 1959," said Esperanza Bejarano, a retired Tucson Unified School District administrator and educator.

"I did not speak English, but he was so patient and taught me about democracy and U.S. history. He was a top-notch teacher who cared about his students, and when I went to the UA, I student-taught under him at Pueblo," Bejarano said.

"He always had tickets to sell in the pockets of his guayabera for a community event supporting social services or education," recalled Bejarano. Oyama was well-known at fundraising events.

Oyama, a founding member of the local chapter of the League of United Latin American Citizens, was a staunch supporter of community projects - especially in education.

His work for others led to scores of awards, including being named 1993 Man of the Year by the Tucson Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce.

Oyama was born June 1, 1926, and grew up in downtown's barrios where the Tucson Convention Center now stands. He grew up immersed in Mexican-American culture, being raised by his mother, Mary, who was born in Japan but grew up in Mexico. His father, also of Japanese descent, died five months before Oyama was born.

In May 1942 at age 15, Oyama, his mother and sister were sent to an internment camp in Poston, Ariz., along with more than 20,000 other Japanese-Americans during World War II. It was southwest of Parker in what is now La Paz County.

Oyama remained there for 15 months, and about two years after he had left the camp, he was drafted into the Army and served from 1945 to 1947.

He then joined the Air Force and worked counterintelligence in Panama. He graduated from the Reserve Officer's Training Corps at the University of Arizona in 1950 and retired from the Air Force Reserve in 1985 as a lieutenant colonel.

While a student at the UA, he studied Spanish and earned a bachelor's degree in education. It also was at the UA where he met and fell in love with Mary Ann Jordan, from Buffalo, N.Y., who had moved to Tucson for health reasons.

The couple made history as the American Civil Liberties Union of Arizona's first clients in a lawsuit challenging the state's anti-miscegenation law.

On Oct. 6, 1959, Oyama, 33, a Spanish and U.S. history teacher at Pueblo High School, and Jordan, 28, an American Airlines employee, were denied a marriage license in the office of the clerk of Pima County Superior Court because he was Japanese-American and she was white.

A state law prohibited "the marriage of a person of Caucasian blood with a Negro, Mongolian, Malay or Hindu," according to a Star story.

Pima County Superior Court Judge Herbert F. Krucker declared the law unconstitutional on Dec. 23, 1959, and granted Oyama and his fiancée their request for a marriage license.

The ruling was appealed to the Arizona Supreme Court, but it was dismissed after the Legislature repealed the law.

Meanwhile, Oyama and Jordan did not wait. After Krucker's ruling, "I and Mary Ann got married a week later at St. Augustine Cathedral," Oyama said in a 2009 interview.

It was that year that Oyama and Jordan, who died from heart failure in 1987 at age 55, were honored by the ACLU of Arizona at its 50th anniversary celebration.

Oyama said then it was Jordan who taught him about building bridges of understanding and love. "It was her courage and unwavering support that inspired me to continue my involvement in educational rights of Mexican-American children and adults," said Oyama, who, along with other teachers, was nationally recognized for bilingual education in the 1950s at Pueblo High by Parade Magazine.

That recognition led him and five local educators to research bilingual education programs in 40 schools in the Southwest.

They wrote a report, "The Invisible Minority," and held a national symposium in 1966 to discuss the findings. It attracted policymakers and educators, and two U.S. senators who introduced federal legislation that funded bilingual education.

Oyama left Pueblo in 1970 and became Pima Community College's director of bilingual and international studies, and then associate dean of the program in 1978.

In 1989, he was appointed vice president for multidisciplinary education and services at PCC. He retired as vice president emeritus after 22 years at the college.

Tucson Unified School District built an elementary school at 2700 S. La Cholla Blvd. and named it for Oyama in February 2003. He worked for the district for 18 years.

Oyama donated historical documents to the UA Libraries Special Collections.

Oyama his survived by his wife of 21 years, Laura Ann; daughter Mary Catherine Tate; sons David Oyama, Patrick Oyama and Steven Oyama; stepchildren Susanna Minegishi, Chris Toledo, Elizabeth Toledo, Pablo Toledo and Andrea Leyva; 14 grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

Oyama services

A viewing for Henry "Hank" Oyama will be from 5 to 10 p.m. and a rosary will be recited at 7 p.m. Sunday at Carrillo's Tucson Mortuary, 204 S. Stone Ave.

A funeral Mass will be celebrated Monday at 10 a.m. at St. Augustine Cathedral, 192 S. Stone Ave., followed by burial at Holy Hope Cemetery, 3535 N. Oracle Road.

Contact reporter Carmen Duarte at 573-4104 or cduarte@azstarnet.com

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News