South Houghton Road and all four Interstate 10 ramps connected to it will be closed the night of Sept. 15 before a new temporary traffic interchange is unveiled.
The I-10 ramps and Houghton Road between East Mary Ann Cleveland Way and East Brekke Road will be closed from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. starting the night of Sept. 15, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. The area will reopen around 6 a.m. on Sept. 16 and traffic will move on both sides of the median on the Houghton Road bridge.
The new temporary traffic configuration is part of the overall work being done for the Houghton Road-Interstate 10 project that will feature six lanes of traffic and new paths for pedestrians and bicyclists.
ADOT plans to switch traffic to the "diverging diamond" design this fall and the interchange project, which began in August 2020, is set to be completed by the end of this year. Drivers are advised to be careful and slow down when driving through the work zone on Houghton near I-10. Video courtesy of the Arizona Department of Transportation.
- Road Runner: New Houghton Road interchange will be first of its kind in Tucson
- ADOT: Arizona vehicle crashes drop in 2020, fatalities show increase
- Road Runner: Tucson testing traffic signals that could cut commute time
- Mountain lion mortally wounded in central Tucson
- Fissures from groundwater pumping close two more Cochise County roads
- Watch now: Intersection at Stone and Toole reopens in downtown Tucson