Skip to main contentSkip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.

Tucson man arrested in wife's killing had history of domestic violence

When Cassandra Yates was gunned down on Nov. 20, her husband, who’s been charged with her killing, was freshly out of jail on a prohibited firearms charge.

A convicted felon with a history of domestic violence, 22-year-old King Yates had been arrested on Nov. 7, after police discovered him with a gun, court records show.

King was subsequently released from the Pima County Jail with no bond, pending a Jan. 3 hearing, according to Tucson City and Pima County Superior Court records.

Less than three weeks after his release, 24-year-old Cassandra died when her husband allegedly shot and killed her at a neighbor’s apartment.

Before police arrived, King walked away from the apartment, police said.

Paramedic crews tried to save Cassandra, but she died shortly after.

The next morning, police located King while responding to a suspicious activity call after neighbors heard breaking glass at a residence only miles away from the scene of his wife’s murder, according to police.

King was found asleep inside a bedroom and arrested without incident.

On Dec. 1, he was indicted on charges of second-degree murder, criminal trespass and prohibited possession of a firearm, court documents show.

But these court cases aren’t Yates’ first.

In 2012, a woman who Yates had a relationship with filed a restraining order with Pima County Superior Court.

That same year, he was convicted on a felony drug charge and ended up violating his probation, which landed him in prison from June to November 2013. While in custody, he had a number of disciplinary infractions, including disorderly conduct and harassment, according to Arizona Department of Corrections records.

In January 2014, Yates was arrested on a misdemeanor domestic violence assault charge and pleaded guilty, paying a $378 fine, according to city court records.

He and Cassandra married in September 2014 and two months later, Yates was charged with nine felonies related to drug possession and sales, weapons violations and prohibited possession, but was never convicted. The court ended up dismissing five of the charges and he was acquitted on the other four, records show.

In March 2015, Yates was arrested again on domestic violence assault charges. City court records show that the case is still ongoing.

After his Nov. 7 arrest , the court’s Pretrial Services recommended he stay in jail. The court overruled the decision, releasing him on his own recognizance.

Yates is now being held on a $1 million bond pending a hearing Friday.


ontact reporter Caitlin Schmidt at or 573-4191. Twitter: @caitlinschmidt

Subscribe to stay connected to Tucson. A subscription helps you access more of the local stories that keep you connected to the community.

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News