WASHINGTON - President Obama will ask Congress to boost federal spending on education by as much as $4 billion in the coming 2011 budget year, Education Secretary Arne Duncan said Wednesday.
Of the total, $3 billion is slated for elementary and secondary education programs ranging from teacher quality to student safety.
The sum also includes $1.35 billion for Obama's "Race to the Top" competitive grant program, which was created last year using $4.35 billion from the economic stimulus bill. States must compete for a share of the money and, for some, that means changing education laws and striking deals with teacher unions to bring their systems in line with Obama's vision of education reform.
Obama sees linking student test scores to teacher performance and creating charter schools as solutions to the problems plaguing public education. Charter schools are funded with public money but operate independently of local school boards.
People are also reading…
The first round of Race to the Top awards are expected to be announced in April.
With the additional $1.35 billion, states not awarded money in the first round would get another chance to compete. Local school districts also would be allowed to apply.
The rest of the money for K-12 education would become available after Congress overhauls the No Child Left Behind education law, which is due for a rewrite. Duncan said he hopes that process will be completed by August.
The request for $4 billion would increase federal education spending by about 6 percent.
The Education Department also wants to eliminate six programs, deeming them duplicative or ineffective. The agency would consolidate 38 other programs into 11 programs to eliminate bureaucracy and red tape.
Duncan said Obama's decision to boost education spending, at the same time he is expected to call for a freeze on other federal spending, shows how important the issue is to the president.
"Given how tough the economy is now, having a 6 percent increase at this point is extraordinary," Duncan said. "You're not seeing that happen anyplace else."
Obama is expected to send his budget proposal to Capitol Hill next Tuesday.

