Tucson High School on 1st Ave. and 6th St, in 1946, with the gymnasium to the south, long before expansion projects led to the sprawling campus that it is today. The Tucson Unified School District spent years buying property, including dozens of homes, surrounding the main building. By the mid 1970s, the two blocks of homes to the east of campus (right, in the photos) became the vocational building, bookstore and cafeteria and 7th Street and 1st Avenue were closed through campus. The homes south of the football stadium are gone. The land is now sports fields.