People also are talking about more discord at the NATO meetings and the Emmett Till murder probe being reopened.
63 years later, government reopens Emmett Till murder case
The federal government has reopened its investigation into the slaying of Emmett Till, the black teenager whose brutal killing in Mississippi shocked the world and helped inspire the civil rights movement more than 60 years ago.
The Justice Department told Congress in a report in March it is reinvestigating Till's slaying in Money, Mississippi, in 1955 after receiving "new information." The case was closed in 2007 with authorities saying the suspects were dead; a state grand jury didn't file any new charges.
Deborah Watts, a cousin of Till, said she was unaware the case had been reopened until contacted by The Associated Press on Wednesday.
The federal report, sent annually to lawmakers under a law that bears Till's name, does not indicate what the new information might be.
But it was issued in late March following the publication last year of "The Blood of Emmett Till," a book that says a key figure in the case acknowledged lying about events preceding the slaying of the 14-year-old youth from Chicago.
The book, by Timothy B. Tyson, quotes a white woman, Carolyn Donham, as acknowledging during a 2008 interview that she wasn't truthful when she testified that Till grabbed her, whistled and made sexual advances at a store in 1955.
Two white men -- Donham's then-husband Roy Bryant and his half-brother J.W. Milam -- were charged with murder but acquitted in the slaying of Till, who had been staying with relatives in northern Mississippi at the time. The men later confessed to the crime in a magazine interview, but weren't retried. Both are now dead.
Donham, who turns 84 this month, lives in Raleigh, N.C. A man who came to the door at her residence declined to comment about the FBI reopening the investigation.
"We don't want to talk to you," the man said before going back inside.
Paula Johnson, co-director of an academic group that reviews unsolved civil rights slayings, said she can't think of anything other than Tyson's book that could have prompted the Justice Department to reopen the Till investigation.
"We're happy to have that be the case so that ultimately or finally someone can be held responsible for his murder," said Johnson, who leads the Cold Case Justice Initiative at Syracuse University.
The Justice Department declined to comment on the status of the probe.
Watts, Till's cousin and co-founder of the Emmett Till Legacy Foundation, said it's "wonderful" that the killing is getting another look, but didn't want to discuss details.
"None of us wants to do anything that jeopardizes any investigation or impedes, but we are also very interested in justice being done," she said.
Abducted from the home where he was staying, Till was beaten and shot, and his mutilated body was found weighted down with a cotton gin fan in the Tallahatchie River. Images of his mutilated body in the casket gave witness to the depth of racial hatred in the Deep South and helped build momentum for subsequent civil rights campaigns.
Relatives of Till pushed Attorney General Jeff Sessions to reopen the case last year following publication of the book.
Donham, then known as Carolyn Bryant and 21 years old at the time, testified in 1955 as a prospective defense witness in the trial of Bryant and Milam. With jurors out of the courtroom, she said a "nigger man" she didn't know took her by the arm.
"Just what did he say when he grabbed your hand?" defense attorney Sidney Carlton asked, according to a trial transcript released by the FBI a decade ago.
"He said, 'How about a date, baby?'" she testified. Bryant said she pulled away, and moments later the young man "caught me at the cash register," grasping her around the waist with both hands and pulling her toward him.
In the book, author Tyson wrote that Donham told him her testimony about Till accosting her wasn't true.
Papa John's founder quits board after using n-word in conference call
The founder and public face of Papa John's pizza, resigned as the company's chairman hours after he apologized for using the N-word on a conference call in May.
Papa John's said late Wednesday it would name a new chairmain in the coming weeks.
John Schnatter had apologized earlier in the day after Forbes reported that he used the racial slur while participating in a role-playing exercise designed to prevent public relations crises.
According to the account in Forbes, Schnatter was on a call with Laundry Service, a marketing agency, and was asked how he planned to manage future public relations flare-ups.
Schnatter caused controversy last year when he said that Papa John's pizza sales were hurt by the NFL's handling of players' kneeling during the National Anthem in protest of racial injustice. He stepped down as CEO two months after the comments.
On the call in May, Schnatter sought to downplay the significance of his criticism of the league and its players, Forbes reported.
"Colonel Sanders called blacks n-----s," he said, complaining that Sanders had never received backlash, according to Forbes. The parent company of KFC did not immediately answer a request for comment.
Forbes also reported that Schnatter recalled growing up in Indiana, where he said people used to drag black people from their trucks until they died.
Forbes reported that Schnatter's comments were intended to demonstrate his stance against racism, but that people on the call were offended by them.
In a statement issued through the company, Schnatter said: "News reports attributing the use of inappropriate and hurtful language to me during a media training session regarding race are true. Regardless of the context, I apologize. Simply stated, racism has no place in our society."
The company's stock closed down nearly 5 percent on Wednesday.
Schnatter also resigned Wednesday from the University of Louisville board of trustees.
Porn star Stormy Daniels arrested at Ohio strip club
Adult film actress Stormy Daniels was arrested at a strip club in Ohio early Thursday and faces three counts of illegally touching a patron, court records show.
Her attorney, Michael Avenatti, tweeted Thursday that his client was taken into custody while performing in Columbus.
"She was arrested for allegedly allowing a customer to touch her while on stage in a nonsexual manner! Are you kidding me?" Avenatti tweeted.
"They are devoting law enforcement resources to sting operations for this? There has to be higher priorities."
Under Ohio law, an employee who regularly appears nude or seminude on the premises of a sexually oriented business is not allowed to touch anyone who's not a family member while nude or seminude at that business.
Avenatti said Daniels, whose legal name is Stephanie Clifford, was arrested while "performing the same act she has performed across the nation at nearly a hundred strip clubs."
"This was a setup & politically motivated. It reeks of desperation," his tweet said. "We will fight all bogus charges."
Daniels posted a $6,054 bail and was released, according to court records. Documents on the Franklin County Municipal Court website show that she will be arraigned Friday at 9 a.m.
Last month, the Sirens Gentlemen's Club posted on its website that Daniels was scheduled to perform there Wednesday and Thursday. A person who answered the phone at the club declined to comment.
Daniels made headlines worldwide for allegedly having an affair with Donald Trump in 2006 -- and for the $130,000 she says she received from his attorney in 2016 in exchange for her silence about the alleged sexual encounter. Trump has denied the affair happened.
She is suing Trump and his former personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, to be released from a nondisclosure agreement that she says she signed days before the 2016 presidential election to prevent her from publicly discussing the alleged affair.
Trump's claim that NATO will boost defense spending disputed
President Donald Trump on Thursday reaffirmed his commitment to the NATO alliance after he claimed member nations caved to his demands by making significant pledges to increasing defense spending.
"The United States' commitment to NATO remains very strong," Trump told reporters at a surprise news conference following an emergency session of NATO members held to address his complaints.
Trump has berated members of the alliance for failing to spend enough of their money on defense, accusing Europe of freeloading off the U.S. and raising doubts about whether he would come to members' defense if they were attacked.
Trump said he made his anger clear to allies on Wednesday.
"Yesterday I let them know that I was extremely unhappy with what was happening," Trump said, adding that, in response, European countries agreed to up their spending.
Not true, said French President Emmanuel Macron.
"There is a communique that was published yesterday. It's very detailed," he said, adding: "It confirms the goal of 2 percent by 2024. That's all."
He also denied reports that Trump threatened to withdraw the U.S. from NATO in the funding dispute.
NATO countries in 2014 committed to spending 2 percent of their gross domestic products on defense by 2024, but NATO has estimated that only 15 members, or just over half, will meet the benchmark by 2024 based on current trends.
Earlier Thursday, Trump called out U.S. allies on Twitter as he attended a second day of meetings with leaders of the military alliance.
In a series of tweets from Brussels, Trump said "Presidents have been trying unsuccessfully for years to get Germany and other rich NATO Nations to pay more toward their protection from Russia."
FBI agent will testify his work not tainted by political bias
An FBI agent whose anti-Trump text messages fueled suspicions of partisan bias will tell lawmakers Thursday that his work has never been tainted by politics and that the intense scrutiny he is facing represents "just another victory notch in Putin's belt," according to prepared remarks obtained by The Associated Press.
Peter Strzok, who helped lead FBI investigations into Hillary Clinton's email use and potential coordination between Russia and Donald Trump's campaign, was testifying publicly for the first time since being removed from special counsel Robert Mueller's team following the discovery of the derogatory text messages last year.
He will say in his opening statement that he has never allowed personal opinions to infect his work, that he knew information during the campaign that had the potential to damage Trump but never contemplated leaking it and that the focus on him by Congress is misguided and plays into "our enemies' campaign to tear America apart."
Republican members of the House judiciary and oversight committees were expected to grill Strzok for hours as they argue that the text messages with FBI lawyer Lisa Page color the outcome of the Clinton email investigation and undercut the FBI's ongoing investigation into Russian election interference. Trump himself has launched personal attacks against the two FBI officials, including a Wednesday evening tweet that asked "how can the Rigged Witch Hunt proceed when it was started, influenced and worked on, for an extended period of time" by Strzok. He described the texts as "hate filled and biased."
In the prepared remarks, Strzok acknowledges that while his text message criticism was "blunt," it was not directed at one person or political party and included jabs not only at Trump but also at Clinton as well as Sen. Bernie Sanders. He said there was "simply no evidence of bias in my professional actions."
"Let me be clear, unequivocally and under oath: not once in my 26 years of defending my nation did my personal opinions impact any official action I took," he will say.
He says that he was one of the few people during the 2016 election who knew the details of Russian election interference and its possible connections with people in the Trump orbit, and that that information could have derailed Trump's election chances. "But," he said, "the thought of exposing that information never crossed my mind."
Although Strzok has said through his lawyer that he was eager to tell his side of the story, he makes clear his exasperation at being the focal point of a congressional hearing at a time when Russian election interference has been successfully "sowing discord in our nation and shaking faith in our institutions."
He also flatly rejected the president's characterizations of Mueller's work and the threat of Russian election interference, saying, "This investigation is not politically motivated, it is not a witch hunt, it is not a hoax."
Armless Florida man charged with stabbing a tourist
Jonathan Crenshaw has been a fixture on Miami Beach for years, drawing attention from people walking along trendy Lincoln Road for his colorful painting. Well, that and the fact the homeless man has no arms and paints with his feet.
But shortly after midnight on Tuesday, Crenshaw,46, turned on one of those tourists and stabbed him with a pair of scissors he held with his feet, police said.
Crenshaw told police he was lying on the ground when Cesar Coronado, 22, came up to him and punched him in the head. Coronado and a friend, who were both visiting from Chicago, had a different story, telling police Coronado was asking Crenshaw for directions when he attacked, the Miami Herald reported.
In a 2011 profile, Crenshaw, who has a lengthy police record, told the Miami New Times he accused his mother of feeding him "rat poision," also telling the publication Gloria Estefan gave birth to nearly 200 of his children.
Police said Crenshaw stabbed Coronado twice and walked off. He has been charged with aggravated battery and is in the Miami-Dade County Jail on $7,500 bond.