I thought of so many good recipes this month that I found it hard to decide on something sensational, but I finally settled on sharing the following and I am sure you will enjoy it. The days will be getting cooler and using the oven will have a warming effect on you and make your home smell delightful. And, with this recipe, you don’t have to spend hours rolling and stuffing that cabbage and the end result is extraordinary. This is a good dish to take along to share with friends or neighbors.
Easy Pigs in a Blanket (in place of Stuffed Cabbage Rolls)
(Makes 4 large or 8-10 appetizer-size servings)
1 small head cabbage
1 lb. ground beef
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup uncooked regular white rice
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
1 can (10 1/2 oz.) tomato soup + 1 can water
¼ cup grated Italian-style cheese (fresh Parmesan is good)
- Chop cabbage into medium pieces and spread in the bottom of a greased 13” x 9” x 2” baking dish.
- Brown meat and onion in a large skillet, breaking up meat with a large spoon as it cooks. Stir in rice, salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture over cabbage.
- In a small saucepan, heat tomato soup and water to boiling. Pour over all ingredients in baking pan. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover baking pan with foil tightly and bake for 1½ hours in a preheated 350° oven. Fluff lightly with a fork before serving.
- If desired, make extra tomato soup mix and serve on the side.