Recently, while on a trip to California to see some family members, my husband had dinner at a special restaurant we used to frequent. He chose an item on the menu that was unknown to him and when he returned home he told me about how delicious it was and that I needed to make it. Well, I never heard of Jerusalem Chicken and so I started my research on the Internet. I found several recipes; but, I must say, none of the three were particularly helpful in how to serve this dish. I was able to prepare the recipe easily, but the presentation took some help from my husband, as I did not see the dish served. To our amazement, it turned out very good; the presentation and the taste were sensational. Here is my rendition of what my husband says is better than the restaurant’s serving. This recipe will make two healthy servings.
1 pkg. Knorr’s Hollandaise Sauce
Salt and pepper
½ lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 (14 oz.) can artichoke hearts, drained (not marinated variety)
4 thin sliced chicken breasts, purchased sliced, skinned & boned
8 Colossal Shrimp, almost fully defrosted, tails removed
1 sm. pkg. Mahatma Saffron Rice
1 green vegetable, like asparagus spears, broccoli florets, whole petite green beans
1 Roma tomato, cut in half and each half sliced very thin
- Make Mahatma Saffron Rice according to directions.
- While rice is cooking, prepare Hollandaise according to package directions.
- While rice and sauce are cooking, sprinkle chicken breasts with salt, pepper and lemon pepper and cook in olive oil until lightly browned on both sides.
- While chicken is cooking, slice mushrooms and sauté 5 min. in a small skillet with a little olive oil. Add to the thickened Hollandaise that you have removed from the heat.
- Cook drained artichoke hearts (whole) in the pan you cooked the mushrooms about 5 minutes on medium heat. Add to the Hollandaise.
- By now the chicken should be browned on both sides, cook the shrimp in the pan with the chicken until just heated through, about 5 to 7 minutes. Don’t cook the shrimp too long as it will have a hard texture.
- Prepare the green vegetable and sliced tomato as color for the chicken dish.
- Using heated plates, you will layer the cooked ingredients: the rice, then the chicken on top of the rice, the sauce with the mushrooms and artichoke hearts on top of that. Add the shrimp and a little extra sauce. Sprinkle with parsley flakes. Add the vegetable and tomato on the side of the main dish.