This is a stovetop/skillet version of a recipe found in Phoenix Home & Garden that involved oven baking. Since I rarely use the oven, especially in the summer, I created this version and made it gluten-free and dairy-free. I use Jasmine rice since it is less fussy then the Basmati called for in the original. You can substitute Spanish (not Mexican) chorizo for the pepperoni for a more authentic version but it is difficult to find. Obviously, any beer can be substituted if you do not need it to be gluten-free.
Serve with avocado, non-dairy sour cream (or crema for the dairy version) and a slice of lime.
- 8 chicken thighs with skin and bone-in, washed and dried
- Kosher salt, for seasoning chicken
- Freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning chicken
- Enough oil to fry chicken
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 2 diced red peppers
- 2 diced poblano chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons crushed dried Mexican oregano
- Pinch of saffron threads (optional)
- 3 cups RedBridge sorghum beer (gluten-free)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can Muir Glen diced tomatoes
- 4 ounces Boar's Head pepperoni, cut into tiny pieces (gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice (Jasmine)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large sauté pan over high heat, add oil. When hot, deep fry chicken - 6 minutes skin side down covered; 9 minutes uncovered; turn over cook 6 minutes covered and then 6 minutes uncovered. Remove and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Carefully discard all but a tablespoon of the hot oil from pan. Add onion, red pepper, chile and sauté until tender. Then mix in cumin, oregano and saffron threads.
- Add beer, stewed tomatoes, sausage and cilantro, and check seasoning. Stir the rice into the mixture and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low for 20 minutes. Remove lid and stir ingredients. Make sure rice is completely cooked. If not completely cooked, cover and cook another 10-20 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and simmer 10 minutes until heated through.
(This recipe was adapted from a Phoenix Home & Garden recipe)