The Arizona Wildcats held their fifth practice of spring camp Thursday. Here are some notes and takeaways from the workout and post-practice media availability:
* Quarterback Gunner Cruz might have had his best practice to date. Taking the majority of the first-team reps, Cruz had a particularly strong connection with Stanley Berryhill III. One highlight: an on-the-run TD pass to a streaking Berryhill on third-and-6 from about the 20-yard line.
* Will Plummer threw an interception on the next play but performed better than the previous two practices, particularly when executing the quick game. His best pass of the day, a corner route to Zach Williams, was negated by a penalty.
* Tailback Drake Anderson continued to display quick feet and shiftiness, eluding JB Brown in the backfield to gain a first down on a fourth-and-1 run. Brown earlier had a tackle-for-loss and later recorded a sack.
* Cornerback Isaiah Rutherford had a superb pass breakup on a fade pass to Boobie Curry in the end zone.
* Tailback Bam Smith practiced in full for the first time but didn’t get many reps during team drills.
* Coach Jedd Fisch said the team would visit the Center of Opportunity homeless shelter Friday “to help them out and prepare for Easter.”
* Safeties coach Chuck Cecil said it’s “exhilarating” to help coach Don Brown’s ultra-aggressive defensive scheme.
* Offensive lineman Donovan Laie and safety Gunner Maldonado remained out. Defensive backs Isaiah Mays and Rhedi Short remained limited.
Contact sports reporter Michael Lev at 573-4148 or email@example.com. On Twitter @michaeljlev