The Arizona Wildcats lost to Arizona State 42-30 Saturday at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe. Here are some pertinent notes, quotes and statistics:
* Arizona ended the regular season losing three of its final four games to fall to 7-5, 5-4 in the Pac-12. The Sun Devils passed the Wildcats for sole possession of second place in the Pac-12 South. Once 3-0 on the road, Arizona finished with a 3-3 mark away from Tucson.
* Rich Rodriguez fell to 2-4 against counterpart Todd Graham. Rodriguez is 43-34 in six seasons at Arizona. Graham is 46-31 in six seasons at ASU.
* Arizona outgained ASU 251-167 in the first half; the Sun Devils outgained the Wildcats 223-188 in the second. ASU converted 7 of 8 third downs after halftime.
* Arizona rushed for 245 yards, its 18th straight game with 150 or more. The Wildcats have 48 rushing touchdowns, 12 more than their previous season best.
* Arizona held Arizona State to 163 passing yards, the fewest the Wildcats have allowed in a game this season.
* RB Nick Wilson finished with 51 rushing yards, giving him 3,009 yards for his career. Wilson is the seventh player in school history to reach the 3,000-yard mark.
* CB Lorenzo Burns collected his fifth interception of the season. He’s the first Arizona player to have five interceptions in a season since Trevin Wade in 2009.
* Freshman LB Colin Schooler had two tackles for losses, his third straight game with multiple TFLs. Schooler’s 13 total tackles were two off his career high.
Rodriguez on where Arizona goes from here: “We’ve just gotta regroup. We’ve got a couple weeks of school left. Guys gotta concentrate academically for the next week. Find out where we’re in a bowl game. We’ll be mad for a couple days. You lose the Territorial Cup, it makes you angry. Find out who we play in a week and get ready for that one.”
QB Brandon Dawkins on his performance in place of the injured Khalil Tate: “I gotta make sure I let the ball go, anticipate. We had chances to make big plays; wish we could’ve got a couple back. I’m proud of the guys, they fought all game, they had my back no matter what, and I had theirs. I wasn’t going to quit on them.”
Burns on defending short fields in the second half: “It was a difficult situation. But as a defense, we have to take the task on, try to make the best of it, make a stop. That’s our responsibility, to stop the offense.”
ASU coach Todd Graham on knocking out Tate: “We knew that we hobbled him and hit him pretty good in the first half, but the other guy (Dawkins) is explosive too. I wouldn’t say just as explosive, because Tate is pretty special. In this game, it’s the team that physically whips the other team, and then the turnovers.”
QB Manny Wilkins on Demario Richard and ASU’s other seniors: “I’d just say thank you to Demario Richard for bringing the passion that he brings every day. This one meant a lot to me for these seniors. These are guys that I came in with, and I told them before this week, ‘Just continue to press on, I promise that I’ll give my all.’ They’ve been riding with me, and it’s awesome to get this for these guys because they put in so much time. We’ve been through so many summers together, and it’s special to me to get this win for these guys.”
Richard on Graham: “He changed the whole program around, honestly. They were barely winning games. Getting recruited, I never thought I’d come here. When I took my official visit, I was with Manny all the time. I was committed to Washington. Manny told me we were changing it over here. (Graham) means a lot to this program. I wouldn’t hire anybody else.”
* Arizona had 24 first downs; ASU had 18.
* Arizona had 439 total yards; ASU had 390.
* Arizona averaged 6.1 yards per play; ASU averaged 5.9.
* Arizona ran 72 plays and possessed the ball for 32:07; ASU had it for 66 plays and 27:53.
* Arizona converted 7 of 16 third downs; ASU converted 11 of 15.
* Arizona’s average starting field position was its 25-yard line; ASU’s was its 34.
* Arizona averaged 22.8 yards per punt; ASU averaged 43.8.
* Arizona RB J.J. Taylor carried 12 times for a team-high 74 yards and one touchdown.
* Dawkins carried 10 times for 71 yards and a touchdown.
* WR Tyrell Johnson had a team-high three catches for 50 yards.
* Richard carried 22 times for 165 yards and two TDs.
* Arizona LB Tony Fields II had 10 tackles, including 1.5 for losses.
* Burns had eight tackles, a stop for a loss and a pass breakup.