Tree cutting

Q: My tree is in need of a professional trimming. I wonder if you could recommend an arborist or company that could do this. It is a wonderful tree.

A: I can’t recommend one company over another because I am supposed to be unbiased. You might want to check with friends and neighbors to see if they can recommend someone they used previously with good results. What I can do is recommend you seek someone that is certified by the International Society of Arboriculture for tree work.

This organization requires a certain amount of training and passing an exam to be certified. They have a place on their website where you can search for arborists in your area by zip code. The web site is:

Peter L. Warren is the urban horticulture agent for the Pima County Cooperative Extension and the University of Arizona. Questions and photos may be emailed to