The Fox Tucson Theatre opened on April 11, 1930, as both a live vaudeville venue and a movie house. In the 1950s The Fox hosted weekly screenings by the Tucson Chapter of the Mickey Mouse Club.
The theatre closed in 1974 due to competition from modern theaters throughout Tucson and the decline of downtown shopping.
In 1999, after being closed 25 years, the Fox was purchased by the Fox Tucson Theatre Foundation, which raised money for restoration and leaned on sweat equity of many volunteers. After a six-year, $14 million restoration, the Fox Tucson Theatre reopened on New Year's Eve, 2005.