Bisbee, Ariz., on was founded in 1880, as the Copper Queen Mine churned out copper, gold, silver and high-quality minerals. The town is named for Judge DeWitt Bisbee, one of backers of the Copper Queen Mine. According to the Bisbee Visitor Center, "8 billion pounds of copper, 102 million ounces of silver and 2.8 million ounces of gold along with millions of pounds of zinc, lead and manganese were produced."
Excavation of the adjacent Lavender Pit Mine began in the early 1950s, but that ran its course and Phelps Dodge ceased mining operations in the both the shaft and pit mines in 1975.
The town is now a haven for artists and a destination for tourists. The Copper Queen Hotel was restored. The Queen Mine Tour offers tourists a personal view of mining deep underground. There are plenty of festivals and activities during the cool months.