In March 1975 it was announced that the vacant S.H. Kress & Co. building at 97 E Congress St was to be renovated and to take on a new appearance after local investors wanted to remodel the structure. Twenty years before when it was first built in 1955, the building had the city's first escalator that descended to the basement selling floor, according to the Tucson Citizen. After the renovation, the new complex was to be pulled back from the street, leaving more sidewalk room, include a mall on the ground floor and offices on the second and third floors. Later still, in 1983, the three-story building was to be renovated again by developer Humberto S Lopez.