The Sabino Canyon Recreation Area, Tucson's premiere outdoor hiking and outdoor fun spot, in pictures from the Arizona Daily Star / Tucson Citizen files. 

The U.S. Forest Service began administering Sabino Canyon in 1905. During the Great Depression, the government works agencies like the Works Progress Administration (WPA) built Sabino Dam and nine bridges over Sabino Creek in a  failed attempt to build a road to the top of Mount Lemmon. The road travels about 4.5 miles into the canyon.

The Forest Service closed the road to vehicle traffic and began tram service in 1978. A new all-electric tram replaced the gas and diesel trams in 2019.

The non-profit Friends of Sabino Canyon was founded in 1993 to raise additional money for projects in the canyon due to lack of federal funding.

Photo editor

Rick Wiley is the photo editor of the Arizona Daily Star in Tucson. From 1995-2004, he was director of photography at the East Valley Tribune in Mesa. From 1988-94 he was a photographer at the Tucson Citizen. He is a graduate of ASU (yes, that ASU).