A woman conductor took over the baton for the Arizona Opera's Tucson production of "The Flying Dutchman" Friday — the first time a woman has led the the opera in its 35-year history.
San Francisco conductor Sara Jobin was tapped on Thursday to replace Joel Revzen, Arizona Opera's general and artistic director, who was forced to step down temporarily due to illness.
Revzen had been diagnosed with pneumonia a week ago, but conducted the opera's Phoenix productions last weekend, said Arizona Opera spokeswoman Liz Warren.
On Monday, doctors found that Revzen was not responding to antibiotics to fight the pneumonia. On Friday, he was in a Phoenix hospital undergoing tests for illnesses that included valley fever. Warren said he was expected to be released later Friday or today.
Warren said the opera called Jobin, a friend of Revzen's, because she had conducted the "Dutchman" with the San Francisco Opera in 2004.
People are also reading…
Jobin is used to making opera history. In 2004, she became the first woman to conduct in the mainstage subscription series for the San Francisco Opera.
Jobin breaks the ice for conductor Jeannette Sorrell to lead the orchestra in Arizona Opera's production of French composer André-Ernest-Modeste Grétry's "Beauty & the Beast" next March.
"The Flying Dutchman" closes Arizona Opera's 2005-06 season. Warren said Revzen is expected to conduct the opera orchestra in a special concert April 28 with mezzo-soprano Dolora Zajick at the Mesa Arts Center. He also is scheduled to spend part of the summer in Colorado guest-conducting.
● "The Flying Dutchman" continues at 8 tonight and 2 p.m. Sunday at the Tucson Music Hall, 260 S. Church Ave. TIckets are $25-$75 through the Tucson Convention Center box office, 791-4266; or Ticketmaster, 321-1000 .

