NEW YORK — Seven weeks before the premiere debate of the 2024 GOP primary, anxiety is building that the event could prove messy and divisive for the party.
Some candidates, like former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson, are struggling to meet fundraising and polling requirements to make it onstage. He and others are pushing back on a loyalty pledge the Republican Party is insisting candidates sign to participate. And the race's frontrunner, former President Donald Trump, is considering boycotting and holding a competing event instead.
Republican presidential candidate and former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson speaks June 23 during the Faith and Freedom Coalition Policy Conference.
That's turning what is typically the highly anticipated opener of the election season into a source of uncertainty for the candidates and broader party. The frustration is particularly acute for candidates who hoped to use the forum as a powerful opportunity to confront Trump and try to blunt his momentum.
“If the outcome of all of these machinations is a very limited field and no Trump in the first debate, it's hard to see how that can be successful,” Hutchinson said. Still, he said he was confident he will make it to the stage, even though he said he has only received contributions from “over” 5,000 donors.
People are also reading…
“We're not there yet. We've got a ways to go. And we fully intend to get there,” he said.
The Republican National Committee has said that, in order to participate in the Aug. 23 debate in Milwaukee, candidates must have received contributions from at least 40,000 individual donors, with at least 200 unique donors in 20 or more states. They also must earn at least 1% in three high-quality national polls, or a mix of national and early-state polls, between July 1 and Aug. 21.
Candidates will also have to sign a pledge “agreeing to support the eventual party nominee,” according to an RNC news release, and one agreeing not to participate in any non-RNC sanctioned debate for the remainder of the election cycle.
“Our criteria is very clear, we are ensuring quality polls are used to determine which candidates make the debate stage and we are confident that there will be enough polls for our candidates to qualify,” said RNC spokeswoman Emma Vaughn.
The candidates who say they have qualified so far include Trump, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott, former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley and entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy. Some lesser-known candidates, such as conservative radio host Larry Elder, North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum and Miami Mayor Francis Suarez, appear unlikely to make the cutoffs.
Former Vice President Mike Pence, who launched his campaign June 7, has not yet released a tally of donors, but his campaign said it had raised “well into five digits" in the weeks since his announcement.
“Getting in late made it more difficult, but we’re confident we’ll get there,” said Pence spokesman Devin O’Malley.
As part of that effort, the campaign focused on direct mail, aided by the list it has rented from Pence’s nonprofit, Advancing American Freedom. That group had well over 40,000 donors, and Pence aides are hopeful those donors will also give to the former vice president’s campaign.
He's also been holding a series of fundraisers, including one in Boston next week that will be hosted by top Massachusetts Republican donor Bob Reynolds, the CEO of Putnam Investments.
Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who has also expressed confidence he will hit the benchmarks, has pitched himself as the candidate most qualified to directly take on Trump onstage. While Trump's threats to boycott have complicated that argument, Christie's campaign has nonetheless urged donors to give even $1 to help him qualify.
Anthony Scaramucci, the financier who served briefly as Trump's White House communications director and is now supporting Christie, recently encouraged even those who have no intention of voting for the former New Jersey governor to nonetheless chip in.
“Whether you’re a Republican or Democrat, whether you would vote for Chris or wouldn’t vote for Chris, we need someone onstage to tell the truth and put a stop to this nonsense,” he said during a recent podcast interview with the candidate.
ESPN host Stephen A. Smith has urged his followers to do the same. Smith said he's not endorsing any candidate but feels it is “imperative to have Christie onstage for several reasons.”
"Christie’s presence will force both Trump and DeSantis to defend their positions in ways others may be unable to pull off,” he said in an email, adding that watching Christie tussle with the likes of Trump and DeSantis would “be must-see TV, in my opinion.”
At the same time, Christie has criticized Trump for threatening to boycott.
“He should show up because he owes it to the Republican Party and the voters of the Republican Party to stand up and defend his record,” he said on CNN Thursday, urging viewers to visit his website, “donate to me, make sure I’m on that stage, because, if I am, I will raise those issues right to the president’s face.”
Trump, according to campaign officials, has yet to make a final decision on his plans. But he has indicated both publicly and privately that he is not inclined to participate, and aides have been considering options for an alternative event.
DeSantis said Thursday night that he planned to participate in the debate “regardless” of Trump's decision.
“I hope everybody who's eligible comes. I think it's an important part of the process and I look forward to being able to be on the stage,” he told Fox News.
The 2024 presidential field, in the order they've announced
Donald Trump, Republican
Donald Trump, Republican
Former President Donald Trump, aiming to become only the second commander-in-chief ever elected to two nonconsecutive terms, announced in November that he is seeking the Republican presidential nomination in 2024.
“In order to make America great and glorious again, I am tonight announcing my candidacy for president of the United States,” Trump told a crowd gathered at Mar-a-Lago, his waterfront estate in Florida, where his campaign will be headquartered. - CNN
Nikki Haley, Republican
Nikki Haley, Republican
Nikki Haley, the former South Carolina governor and United Nations ambassador, announced her candidacy for president on Feb. 14, becoming the first major challenger to former President Donald Trump for the 2024 Republican nomination.
The announcement, delivered in a video, marked an about-face for the ex-Trump Cabinet official, who said two years ago that she wouldn't challenge her former boss for the White House in 2024. But she changed her mind in recent months, citing, among other things, the country's economic troubles and the need for "generational change," a nod to the 76-year-old Trump's age.
"You should know this about me. I don't put up with bullies. And when you kick back, it hurts them more if you're wearing heels," Haley said. "I'm Nikki Haley and I'm running for president."
Vivek Ramaswamy, Republican
Vivek Ramaswamy, Republican
Vivek Ramaswamy, a biotech entrepreneur and author, launches his 2024 campaign Feb. 21.
“We’re in the middle of a national identity crisis,” his video announcement began. “Faith, patriotism and hard work have disappeared, only to be replaced by new secular religions like Covidism, climatism and gender ideology.”
He has voiced support for changing the overall U.S. voting age to 25, unless younger Americans fulfill at least six months of service in the military or as a first responder — or pass the same citizenship test administered to those seeking to become naturalized citizens.
Marianne Williamson, Democrat
Marianne Williamson, Democrat
Self-help author Marianne Williamson, whose 2020 White House campaign featured more quirky calls for spiritual healing than actual voter support, launched another longshot bid for the presidency March 4, becoming the first Democrat to formally challenge President Joe Biden for the 2024 nomination.
“We are upset about this country, we’re worried about this country,” Williamson told a crowd of more than 600 at a kickoff in the nation’s capital. “It is our job to create a vision of justice and love that is so powerful that it will override the forces of hatred and injustice and fear.”
Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Independent
Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Democrat
Robert F. Kennedy Jr., a member of one of the country’s most famous political families who has in recent years been linked to some far-right figures, kicked off his campaign in Boston on April 19 and likened his campaign to the American revolution.
“My mission over the next 18 months of this campaign and throughout my presidency will be to end the corrupt merger of state and corporate power that is threatening now to impose a new kind of corporate feudalism in our country,” Kennedy said.
Kennedy is a nephew of President John F. Kennedy and the son of his slain brother Robert F. Kennedy.
On Oct. 9, Kennedy dropped his bid for the Democratic nomination, deciding instead to run as an independent.
Larry Elder, Republican (dropped out)
Larry Elder, Republican
Conservative talk radio host Larry Elder, who sought to replace the California governor in a failed 2021 recall effort, announced April 20 he is running for the Republican presidential nomination in 2024.
Elder, 70, made the announcement on Fox News' “Tucker Carlson Tonight” and followed up with a tweet.
“America is in decline, but this decline is not inevitable. We can enter a new American Golden Age, but we must choose a leader who can bring us there. That’s why I’m running for President,” he wrote.
Elder announced Oct. 26, 2023, that he was ending his campaign and endorsing former President Trump.
President Joe Biden, Democrat
President Joe Biden, Democrat
President Joe Biden on April 25 formally announced that he is running for reelection in 2024, asking voters to give him more time to “finish this job” and extend the run of America’s oldest president for another four years.
Biden, who would be 86 at the end of a second term, is betting his first-term legislative achievements and more than 50 years of experience in Washington will count for more than concerns over his age. He faces a smooth path to winning his party’s nomination, with no serious Democratic challengers. But he’s still set for a hard-fought struggle to retain the presidency in a bitterly divided nation.
Asa Hutchinson, Republican
Asa Hutchinson, Republican
Former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson formally launched his Republican presidential campaign April 26, pledging to “bring out the best of America” and aiming to draw contrasts with other GOP hopefuls on top issues, including how best to reform federal law enforcement agencies.
Hutchinson kicked off his 2024 bid in his hometown of Bentonville, on the same steps where he launched an unsuccessful U.S. Senate campaign 30 years ago.
“I ran as a conservative Republican when being a Republican was like having a career-ending handicap,” Hutchinson said, adding, “And now, I bring that same vigor to fight another battle, and that battle is for the future of our country and the soul of our party.”
Tim Scott, Republican (dropped out)
Tim Scott, Republican
South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott launched his presidential campaign May 22, offering an optimistic message he hopes can contrast the two figures who have used political combativeness to dominate the early GOP primary field: former President Donald Trump and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.
Scott, the Senate's only Black Republican, made the announcement in his hometown of North Charleston at Southern University, his alma mater and a private school affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention.
“Our party and our nation are standing at a time for choosing. Victimhood or victory?," he told cheering supporters, adding, "Grievance or greatness?"
Scott abruptly announced Sunday, Nov. 12, that he was dropping out of the 2024 race, a development that surprised his donors and stunned his campaign staff just two months before the start of voting in Iowa’s leadoff GOP caucuses.
Ron DeSantis, Republican
Ron DeSantis, Republican
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis launched his 2024 presidential campaign May 24 with firm words but a disastrous Twitter announcement.
While he tried to project confidence, DeSantis' unusual decision to announce his campaign in an online conversation with Twitter CEO Elon Musk ultimately backfired. The audio stream crashed repeatedly, making it virtually impossible for most users to hear the new presidential candidate in real time.
“American decline is not inevitable — it is a choice. And we should choose a new direction — a path that will lead to American revitalization,” DeSantis said on the glitchy stream, racing through his conservative accomplishments. “I am running for president of the United States to lead our great American comeback."
Mike Pence, Republican (dropped out)
Mike Pence, Republican
Former Vice President Mike Pence opened his bid for the Republican nomination for president June 7 with a firm denunciation of former President Donald Trump, accusing his two-time running mate of abandoning conservative principles and being guilty of dereliction of duty on Jan. 6, 2021.
Pence is the first vice president in modern history to challenge the president under whom he served. While he spent much of his speech, delivered at a community college in a suburb of Des Moines, criticizing Democratic President Joe Biden and the direction he has taken the country, he also addressed Jan. 6 head-on, saying Trump had disqualified himself when he declared falsely that Pence had the power to keep him in office.
Pence dropped out of the race Saturday, Oct. 28, after struggling to raise money and gain traction in the polls.
Chris Christie, Republican
Chris Christie, Republican
Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie wasted no time going after Donald Trump while launching his presidential campaign June 6, calling the former president and current Republican primary front-runner a “lonely, self-consumed, self-serving mirror hog" and arguing that he's the only one who can stop him.
Kicking off his campaign with a town hall at Saint Anselm College, Christie suggested that other top Republicans have been afraid to challenge Trump or even mention his name much while campaigning — but made it clear he had no such qualms.
Doug Burgum, Republican (dropped out)
Doug Burgum, Republican (dropped out Dec. 4, 2023)
North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum, a former software entrepreneur who enacted a slate of laws this year advancing conservative policies on culture war issues, highlighted his small-town roots and business experience as he announced his candidacy for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination on June 7.
The governor of the nation's fourth-least populous state kicked off his campaign in Fargo, near the tiny farm town of Arthur where he grew up.
“Small-town values have guided me my entire life,” Burgum told the crowd. “And frankly, big cities could use more ideas and more values from small towns right now.”
Burgum ended his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination on Monday, Dec. 4, after a stronger-than-expected showing fueled by a gift card-for-campaign donation gimmick that helped get him on the debate stage.
Francis Suarez, Republican (dropped out)
Francis Suarez, Republican (dropped out)
Miami Mayor Francis Suarez announced his bid for the Republican presidential nomination June 15, jumping into the crowded race just days after GOP front-runner Donald Trump appeared in court on federal charges in Suarez's city.
The 45-year-old mayor is the only Hispanic candidate in the race. He has gained national attention in recent years for his efforts to lure companies to Miami, with an eye toward turning the city into a crypto hub and the next Silicon Valley.
Suarez, who is married with two young children, is a corporate and real estate attorney who previously served as a city of Miami commissioner. He has also positioned himself as someone who can help the party further connect with Hispanics. In recent months, he has made visits to early GOP voting states as he weighed a possible 2024 campaign.
Will Hurd, Republican (dropped out)
Will Hurd, Republican (dropped out)
Former Republican Texas congressman Will Hurd suspended his presidential bid and endorsed fellow GOP primary candidate Nikki Haley, officially abandoning a brief campaign built on criticizing Donald Trump at a time when his party seems even more determined to embrace the former president.

