AMC Theatres, the world's biggest movie theater chain, said on Wednesday that it has "substantial doubt" it can remain in business after closing locations across the globe during the coronavirus pandemic.
The theater chain, which closed its theaters earlier this year, expects to have lost between $2.1 billion and $2.4 billion in the first quarter.
The company also said that its revenue fell to $941.5 million, which was down roughly 22% from $1.2 billion in the same quarter last year. This quarter, the situation has gotten substantially worse.
"We are generating effectively no revenue," the company said in a regulatory filing Wednesday.
People are also reading…
AMC will continue to monitor the "potential lifting of various government operating restrictions," but added that the chain has serious challenges even if restrictions are lifted. That includes studios holding back new films from being shown.
"Even if governmental operating restrictions are lifted in certain jurisdictions, distributors may delay the release of new films until such time that operating restrictions are eased more broadly domestically and internationally, which may further limit our operations," the company said.
The company said that it had a cash balance of $718.3 million as of April.
"We believe we have the cash resources to reopen our theaters and resume our operations this summer or later," AMC said. "Our liquidity needs thereafter will depend, among other things, on the timing of a full resumption of operations, the timing of movie releases and our ability to generate revenues."
The company's stock rose 4% after initially declining 8% in early morning trading on Wednesday.
The coronavirus outbreak has ravaged the movie theater business. Movie theaters large and small were closed because of the outbreak, and some of the year's biggest films — "Mulan," "Wonder Woman 1984" and "F9" — were delayed.
Movie theaters like AMC also faced another existential threat because audiences can watch movies at home. This was the case with Universal's "Trolls World Tour," which bypassed theaters for a digital release.
Universal's decision to release "Trolls" on demand caused a feud between the studio and AMC, leading the chain to ban Universal's films from its theaters.
Here are movies Hollywood still plans to open this summer
No guarantees, but these are the movies scheduled to play at theaters this summer.
(Note this list is planned wide release films only. Many others may open in limited release. Or not.)
Here are all the movies Hollywood is still planning to open this summer
July 17: “Tenet”
The anticipated Christopher Nolan action-thriller centered on time travel stars John David Washington and Robert Pattinson (pictured). (Warner Bros.)
July 24: “Come Play”
The monster-and-tech horror is based on writer-director Jacob Chase’s short “Larry” and stars Azhy Robertson, Gillian Jacobs (pictured) and John Gallagher Jr. (Focus Features)
July 24: “Mulan”
A live-action remake of the 1998 animated movie is directed by Niki Caro and stars Liu Yifei. (Walt Disney)
July 31: “Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar”
The Josh Greenbaum-directed comedy was written by Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo, who also star with Jamie Dornan and Damon Wayans Jr. (pictured). (Lionsgate)
Aug. 7: “The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run”
The first full CGI-animated version of the undersea classic sees SpongeBob and Patrick set off to rescue Gary the snail. Directed and co-written by Tim Hill. (Paramount Pictures)
Aug. 14: “The One and Only Ivan"
Based on the K.A. Applegate children’s novel, the film was directed by Thea Sharrock, adapted by Mike White and stars the voices of Sam Rockwell (pictured) and Angelina Jolie, with live-action parts by Bryan Cranston among many others. (Walt Disney)
Aug. 14: “Wonder Woman 1984"
Director Patty Jenkins and star Gal Gadot join forces once more in the “Wonder Woman” sequel, with the action now advanced to 1984. Chris Pine returns too. (Warner Bros.)
Aug. 21: “Bill and Ted Face the Music”
Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter return as Ted and Bill, called to the future to save the earth. Directed by Dean Parisot. (Orion Pictures)
Aug. 21: “Let Him Go”
Kevin Costner and Diane Lane star in this thriller directed by Thomas Bezucha. (Focus Features)
Aug. 28: “The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard”
The sequel to “The Hitman’s Bodyguard” (2017) stars Ryan Reynolds, Samuel L. Jackson and Salma Hayek. Directed by Patrick Hughes. (Lionsgate)
Sept. 4: “The Beatles: Get Back”
Director Peter Jackson went through some 55 hours of footage shot during the making of “Let It Be” for this Beatles documentary. (Walt Disney)
Sept. 4: “Monster Hunters”
A sword-wielding Milla Jovovich and Tony Jaa star; Paul W.S. Anderson (“Alien vs. Predator”) directs. (Screen Gems)
Sept. 4: “A Quiet Place Part II”
With a conversation-starting Super Bowl ad and a round of talk show appearances underway, star Emily Blunt and writer-director (plus “Some Good News” host) John Krasinski were about to unleash their “Quiet Place” sequel just as stay-at-home orders went out around the country. (Paramount Pictures)
The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.

