A 20-year-old Tucson man could spend the rest of his life in prison after being convicted Tuesday of first-degree murder and 25 other felony charges relating to a June 2006 crime spree.
According to prosecutors, Thomas Michael Hernandez and two friends got bored early one morning and decided to go on a robbery spree.
Hernandez and Andy Gonzales kicked in or tried to kick in the doors of five homes as Adrian Valenzuela waited outside in a borrowed Chevrolet Cavalier, jurors were told.
Deputy Pima County Attorney Michael Kelly told jurors during closing arguments last Thursday that more than a dozen pieces of evidence prove Hernandez, 20, and Gonzales committed the invasions and Hernandez fatally shot Martin Guillermo Rodriguez, 35, during the last heist of the night.
Not only did a witness testify Hernandez confessed to her, but one of the victims positively identified Hernandez, Kelly said.
People are also reading…
In addition, another witness linked Hernandez to a car containing many of the victims' personal items, Kelly said.
Moreover, police found a digital camera that had been stolen that morning, and it contained pictures of Hernandez and his buddies trying on stolen jewelry, Kelly said.
"They left behind an avalanche of evidence that led police right to the defendants," Kelly said.
Defense attorney Thomas Hippert told jurors the state didn't prove their case "beyond a reasonable doubt." He questioned why authorities couldn't find any bloody clothing belonging to Hernandez or DNA evidence.
Kelly told jurors during opening statements that Gonzales and Hernandez broke in doors at three homes and terrorized the occupants with a .357 Magnum while ransacking two of the homes.
The pair came away with more than $600 cash, a gold medallion, wedding rings, a digital camera and cell phone before taking a break.
The men decided to go out again and targeted Rodriguez's house after watching his family arrive home in a newer model sport utility vehicle, Kelly said.
Hernandez and Gonzales kicked in the door with such force the hinges flew across the living room, Kelly said.
They ran upstairs, stormed into Rodriguez's bedroom — where he lay sleeping with his wife and 21-month-old son — and demanded cash, drugs and jewelry, Kelly said.
Rodriguez was shot twice because he struggled as the men tried to tie him up, Kelly said.
In a bedroom down the hall, two of the victim's relatives jumped out of a second-story window to escape, Kelly said. Two other relatives in another bedroom stacked furniture up against the door as Gonzales screamed at them and kicked a hole in the door.
Eventually the invaders fled.
They were arrested after the owner of the car they used during the heists called authorities.
The jury acquitted Hernandez on four counts pertaining to one of the home invasions in which Kelly said the victims were able to prevent Hernandez and Gonzales from actually coming in. During that home invasion, Kelly said, Hernandez fired at one of the victims.
Hernandez was also acquitted on two armed-robbery counts pertaining to the Rodriguez incident.
Hernandez originally faced three additional charges, but Kelly was forced to dismiss them after one of the victims died unexpectedly.
Gonzales has pleaded guilty to manslaughter and armed robbery and is facing 10 1/2 to 33 1/2 years in prison.
Valenzuela is scheduled to go to trial Oct. 16.
Judge Edgar Acuña presided in Pima County Superior Court.

