WASHINGTON — The Trump administration repeatedly said the fight against sex trafficking is one of its top priorities.
However, investigations stalled and prosecutions declined due to staffing shortages, funding cuts, a boost in immigration enforcement and growing distrust of the government among victims, according to a review of federal court records and Reuters interviews with 25 former prosecutors, current agents and victims’ advocates.
"You can't say something is a priority and then not provide the resources to make that happen,” said Jacqueline Kelley, a former federal prosecutor in New York who led the prosecution of rapper and actor Sean "Diddy" Combs, who was accused of sex trafficking and convicted on two counts of transportation for prostitution.
Federal sex-trafficking charges dropped this year to the slowest pace since 2010. The Justice Department charged 73 people through June, about 22% lower than the number of people charged during the first half of the past three years, court records show.
People are also reading…
Charges also declined. The DOJ charged 1,230 people with child pornography violations through June, 3% less than average for the same months over the past three years. It charged 318 people with violating the Mann Act, which targets interstate prostitution, 18% less than average.
A banner depicting President Donald Trump is put up Feb. 20 on the Department of Justice building in Washington.
These drops reflect a larger shift in federal law enforcement priorities under President Donald Trump, who slashed agency budgets and mandated a focus on deportations. People charged with crimes unrelated to immigration — everything from tax evasion to drug trafficking — dropped 7% through June to about 22,000, according to the court records.
The findings come just as Congress confirmed Trump nominee Todd Blanche as attorney general in a 50–49 vote with two Republicans defecting. His candidacy faced a bipartisan backlash over the handling of documents related to the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and a transfer to a minimum-security prison granted to his accomplice, Ghislaine Maxwell, shortly after Blanche personally interviewed her.
Epstein survivor Dani Bensky speaks during a July 15 news conference opposing Todd Blanche's confirmation to be attorney general on Capitol Hill in Washington.
Blanche recently told Congress combatting human trafficking "remains a Department priority given the gravity of the harm it causes."
The administration appointed a new national coordinator for child exploitation and human trafficking, Alessandra Serano, a career prosecutor.
In statements to Reuters, she said the department was committed to combating sex trafficking. She said the drop in prosecutions might have resulted from prosecutors and investigators spending time litigating a large number of ongoing cases that pulled those officials away from opening new ones.
Department of Homeland Security spokeswoman Katherine Currie declined to comment on the Reuters review. She said the department is committed to both immigration and sex-crimes enforcement and touted its “unwavering dedication to dismantling human-trafficking networks."
Agents pulled away, seasoned prosecutors gone
Sex-trafficking cases are among the toughest to investigate and prosecute, requiring the untangling of psychological abuse, tracking illicit finances and securing the trust of traumatized victims.
Dozens of veterans with experience prosecuting sex-trafficking cases recently left the department, according to seven former prosecutors who worked such cases. During part of last year, the majority of all HSI agents were assigned to immigration, according to current agents and previous Reuters reporting.
In some U.S. attorneys’ offices, the remaining agents working sex-trafficking cases can’t find prosecutors to pursue their cases, agents and former prosecutors say.
Serano said attrition is normal in these jobs because working sex-trafficking cases “takes a toll on people more than other types of cases,” though the recently departed prosecutors said more people left than is typical. Serano noted the department is hiring to fill these roles.
Reuters obtained the dockets of every publicly filed federal criminal case over the past two decades from Westlaw, a Thomson Reuters legal research service. In some cases, Reuters used artificial intelligence to help classify charges. A review of a random set of records showed its assessments to be 98% accurate.
The Justice Department said its own data showed a smaller decrease, but it declined to explain how it reached those conclusions or to provide case numbers correlating to the prosecutions it counted. Reuters could not replicate the DOJ's results using a public version of its database.
Court records data examined by Reuters showed a long-term trend of declining sex-trafficking cases over the past decade. Sources attributed the trend in part to the Justice Department’s increased focus on more time-consuming cases against higher-profile offenders.
Under Trump, such prosecutions were hampered by the focus on immigration, the departure of agents and prosecutors and cuts to grants to groups supporting sex-trafficking victims.
One veteran federal agent, speaking on condition of anonymity, said sex-trafficking has not been a priority since Trump launched his mass-deportations campaign. With fewer agents dedicated to sex-trafficking, many active investigations are essentially frozen and new files are rarely opened, seven former prosecutors and three agents told Reuters.
"The administration is throwing sand in the gears in 10,000 different ways," said Martina Vandenburg, president of the Human Trafficking Legal Center, whose organization worked with partners to seek release of a cooperating trafficking victim from detention.
One former prosecutor in the southern U.S. said her office’s sex-trafficking investigations were crippled when several Homeland Security Investigations agents working them were reassigned to other priorities, including immigration raids. In other jurisdictions, people familiar with federal enforcement operations said supervisors were forced to bargain for the few remaining agents available for sex-trafficking probes.
When agents get reassigned, it disrupts fragile relationships with sex-trafficking victims and witnesses, who often don’t have phones or stable housing. That means cases can fall apart, one federal agent said.
One trafficking survivor in New England saw her case languish after agents said they were diverted to immigration enforcement, according to a staffer at an advocacy organization who worked with the survivor.
The survivor was subsequently forced back into sex work but no longer wants to involve federal authorities, the advocate said, speaking on condition of anonymity to ensure confidentiality for the survivor.
An FBI spokesperson said agents who were shifted to immigration had been working on areas including sex-trafficking but that the transfers didn't change their responsibility to investigate these crimes. The official did not comment on whether the transfers contributed to the decline in sex-trafficking prosecutions.
Then-acting U.S. Attorney General Todd Blanche attends an Aug. 5 news conference to announce new Trump administration actions against the Jalisco New Generation Cartel at the Justice Department in Washington.
Grants disappear, trust erodes
The financial safety net designed to keep victims stable enough to testify also vanished.
The DOJ’s Office of Justice Programs typically distributes about $90 million annually in grants, typically to nonprofit organizations that provide emergency housing, food and mental health counseling to trafficking victims.
But grantees said some of these grants were delayed or frozen in Trump’s efforts to cut federal spending. Associate Attorney General Stanley Woodward said most grants from last year were awarded, without providing figures, and the department is reviewing the remaining applications to ensure they align with administration priorities.
Alan Smyth, executive director of Los Angeles-based Saving Innocence, saw two federal grants totaling $700,000 delayed for almost a year. Other groups told Reuters they were forced to end some programs or stop providing services because of lost grants.
Historically, federal prosecutors offered so-called T-visas, granting legal immigration status to trafficking victims as an incentive to cooperate with law enforcement.
The administration approved 354 T-visas in the first six months of the current fiscal year that ends in September – or about half the typical pace over the past decade, according to Department of Homeland Security data. More than 71,000 T visa applications are pending.
Two former prosecutors told Reuters their respective U.S. Attorney's offices halted the practice of supporting T-visa applications. Serano said prosecutors and paralegals across the country still work with DHS to verify victims’ cooperation but that DHS ultimately decides on their visa applications.
Several immigration attorneys also said that clients actively cooperating on sex-trafficking probes had been detained by immigration authorities, halting criminal investigations. In Michigan last year, a Chinese woman who had been sex-trafficked in California was detained by ICE despite having a T-visa application pending since 2022, said her attorney, Laura Berger.
“If I can't guarantee a victim won't be locked up, how can I ethically tell them to cooperate with federal agents?" Berger asked.
The loss of that trust, as well as staffing, funding and expertise, could have long-lasting consequences, said Jean Bruggeman, co-executive director of the anti-trafficking organization Freedom Network USA.
"It's hitting that tipping point where important pillars are starting to fall, which will bring down the entire anti-trafficking structure,” she said. “Rebuilding it could take years."

