Skip to main contentSkip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.

When death rained down the slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro


MOUNT KILIMANJARO NATIONAL PARK, Tanzania — The climbers were asleep in their tents before a predawn ascent of Africa's highest peak, when the boulders rained down. Three Americans died and two were seriously injured.

The Americans were among several dozen foreign climbers from various tour groups camped near Arrow glacier on Mount Kilimanjaro's difficult Western Breach when the rockslide occurred Wednesday.

The dead were identified as Kristian Ferguson, 27, of Longmont, Colo.; Mary Lou Sammis, 58, of Huntington, N.Y.; and Betty Orrik Sapp, 63, of Melrose, Mass.

The trip was a lifelong dream of Sapp and her husband, William W. Sapp Jr., both physicists, said neighbor Jeannine Holden. The husband survived.

Ferguson, a satellite engineer in Boulder, Colo., had been hiking with his wife and others from the Colorado Mountain Club, friends said.

"Kris had a lucky star, up until the day before yesterday," said his father, Paul Ferguson, of Redmond, Wash. "He was always energetic and brilliant at whatever he tried. He was able to deal with the most technical problems, and yet he was the most cerebral type of person when it came to things like psychology and philosophy."

Debbie Ramsey, a family friend answering the telephone at the Sammis home, said Sammis was in Tanzania with her husband, Scott, and three adult children.

Listen now and subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | RSS Feed | Omny Studio

Mary Sammis "loved to hike and was always going on hiking trips with friends," Ramsey said. "Mary was a very upbeat, wonderful, great friend."

The injured Americans were flown to Nairobi, Kenya, for treatment, said James Wakibara, acting spokesman for Mount Kilimanjaro National Park.

Several Tanzanian guides also were initially reported killed, but regional police commander Mohamed Chico said Thursday that no Tanzanians had been found among the dead.

Of the world's top peaks, Kilimanjaro is among the easiest to scale — though, as Wednesday's slide demonstrated, it can be deadly.

The climbers set out Saturday to climb the Umbwe route, the most difficult on Mount Kilimanjaro, which at 19,340 feet is the highest freestanding mountain in the world. Even so, the route is only a very difficult hike, not requiring safety ropes or special equipment.

Summiting at dawn

The group had taken several days to reach the camp at Arrow glacier, the normal resting point at 15,800 feet, before summiting Uhuru peak along the Umbwe route. Climbers usually arrive before nightfall and sleep until they begin the ascent at about 2 a.m. to reach the summit at dawn.

Above the campsite is a steep slope of loose gravel, and above that is the crater wall of an extinct volcano. While the climbers were sleeping, boulders and rocks broke off the wall and fell on the campsite, said Thomas Kimaro, owner of Alpine Tours.

Wakibara said a rescue team was immediately sent up the mountain along with every available porter to help bring down the dead and injured. By Thursday morning, more than 50 foreign climbers had been brought down, some with minor injuries, and the Umbwe route was clear, he said.

Subscribe to stay connected to Tucson. A subscription helps you access more of the local stories that keep you connected to the community.

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Listen now and subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | RSS Feed | Omny Studio

Listen now and subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | RSS Feed | Omny Studio

Listen now and subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | RSS Feed | Omny Studio

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News