It is sad to say that stories of crime and other conflicts are the main news reported in any newspaper. While that may help people to be safer, some days bad news is the only news.
Burglaries and the arrests of some suspected in a string of burglaries made the news in the Arizona Daily Star, August 6, 1916:
CHINESE GROCERY IS ENTERED; $20 STOLEN
That burglars are still active in Tucson, notwithstanding the efforts of sheriff Forbes and Chief Cullen to rid the city of bad characters, is evident from two robberies yesterday evening.
Thieves entered the grocery store of Lem Goon, on North Sixth avenue near Toole, taking $20 from a trunk. They entered the back door by means of a skeleton key. No trace of the robbers was discovered.
A suitcase was stolen from a passenger at the Espee depot. He went to get a lunch, leaving the grip in the waiting room. While he was gone someone stole the suitcase and made his getaway.
BURGLARY SUSPECTS HELD—The five Mexicans who were arrested several days ago on South Meyer street suspected of committing a number of burglaries in the city, are being held on the charge of vagrancy but it is possible that more serious charges will be made against them in connection with crimes committed in other cities. There past records are being investigated. Officers comment on the fact that since the arrest of the men no burglaries have been reported but no evidence has so far been obtained to connect any of the men with the recent burglaries.
People are also reading…
In other news, gunfire in Pinal County wounded a young lady from Tucson and the story is a bit confusing.
MEXICAN WOMAN IS MORTALLY WOUNDED
Two Men Also Shot in Same Fight at Sasco, Pinal County
The victim, it is believed, of a jealous lover, Josefina Finley, a Mexican girl about 20 years of age, of 141 West Alameda street, lies mortally wounded at St. Mary’s hospital and sheriff’s officers of two counties, Pima and Pinal, are looking for her assailant.
The girl was wounded by a bullet in the left temple at Sasco about 6 o’clock yesterday morning, fired by an unknown person, and was brought to Tucson and taken to her home on West Alameda street. Later she was taken to the hospital.
The bullet entered the left temple and lodged above the right eye. Wonder was expressed at the vitality of the girl since the wound is thought to be fatal. Reports from the hospital late last night said that she was still living and conscious at times.
Sheriff Forbes’ first intimation that there had been a tragedy at Sasco, which is in Pinal county, came from Dr. Gotthelf, who reported that he had been called to attend a woman at 141 West Alameda street who was apparently mortally wounded. Deputy Sheriff Ezekials made an investigation and at the girl’s home took into custody a Mexican who gave the name of Juan Mesquite, to be held as a witness.
From Mesquite and from several other witnesses who are being held, the outlines of the tragedy were obtained and confirmatory advices were received by Sheriff Forbes from Sheriff Hall of Pinal county, who was at Sasco investigating the shooting.
According to stories told by witnesses, Josefina Finley went to Sasco several days ago to visit friends. Witnesses referred to the place where she was staying as a “public place.” Friday night Julio Beltran was with her at this place when four men knocked at the door and demanded admission. They were admitted and raised a “rough house,” being drunk, but were subsequently prevailed upon to leave. As they were departing and Josefina Finley was at the door closing it, one of the four men fired three shots into the door, the third inflicting a bullet wound in the left temple of the Finley girl.
None of the witnesses informally examined yesterday by county authorities could give the names of these four men, one of whom, apparently is the assailant of the Tucson girl.
The Finley girl was brought to Tucson in the automobile of Francisco Valenzuela, accompanied by Julio Beltran, Juan Mesquite and another woman. Their statements were taken yesterday. The four men who invaded the house were drunk, these said. Officers are continuing the investigation in Pima county while Pima and Pinal deputies are looking for others who might be involved in the case.
Advices from Sheriff Hall said that two men were also shot at the same time but no evidence of this was obtained by Pima county officers. The four men who are believed to have started the trouble are said to be miners from Silverbell, who went to Sasco Friday night to carouse after having been paid off at Silverbell.
County Attorney Richardson of Pinal county will arrive in the city this morning to investigate the Pima county end of the shooting.
More on this story is coming.

