Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
To file a complaint against a nursing home

To file a complaint against a nursing home

  • Updated

The Arizona Department of Health Services has an online system for filing complaints against state-licensed nursing homes. The system will also work for complaints against child-care facilities and hospitals.

The online form, available around the clock, asks basic questions about who, what, when and where, and also reminds people to include information about potential witnesses and police involvement. The questionnaire is then sent directly to the appropriate licensing office for prioritizing.

The investigator will need contact information for the person filing the complaint in case more information is needed and to provide updated information to the filer when the investigation is complete. But officials stress that the system is secure and that confidentiality will be maintained.

The complaint form is available through the department's main website at

Complaints may also be filed by telephone, at 1-602-364-2536.

Other nursing home resources

• Nursing homes should make their latest state-inspection survey readily available to visitors. Citations may be checked at

It was once possible to look at the public file on any home at the state's long-term-care licensing office in Tucson, but in 2008 officials moved the files to Phoenix, where they may be viewed at 150 N. 18th Ave., fourth floor.

• The Arizona Health Services Department's office of long-term care has information about nursing homes, regulations, residents' rights and enforcement. See or index.htm or call 1-602-364-2690.

• To file a complaint against a nursing home, call the state at 1-602-364-2536.

• Complaints about abuse, neglect or exploitation of vulnerable adults may also be filed with Arizona Adult Protective Services at 1-877-767-2385 or by filing an online report at

• The Pima Council on Aging has resources at and long-term care ombudsman Margaret Higgins takes complaints and will help people file complaints. Reach her at 546-2007 or 904-2903.

• Find government ratings for nursing homes that accept Medicare/Medicaid at

Subscribe to stay connected to Tucson. A subscription helps you access more of the local stories that keep you connected to the community.

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News